Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gaula, Guideline beat

Heading to the Gaula in the first week of August to have some fishing and instruction with underhand casting and shooting heads with Jan Erik Granbo.
    Anyone got experience fishing this river/beat and what I should expect? What tackle /flies etc I should take /make?
    Can you fish a speyline effectively rather than a shooting head? I am going to the Yokanga and Sean from Farlows who worked out there suggested a cortland line would this be a suitable line for the Guala?
    Looks like they have had some big fish out of the Gaula in the past, but I believe the big ones come into the river earlier in the season. Are multi-tip lines OK for big fish?
    Supposedly you can nearly fish 24hrs for salmon during the long day and sea trout during the short night so should get lots of practice, bring on the modafinil.
    Any advice welcome.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    Heading to the Gaula in the first week of August to have some fishing and instruction with underhand casting and shooting heads with Jan Erik Granbo.
    Nick
    A speyline will do fine, particularly at the upper bridge pool (the best place :-) and in Tysshølen. You will need a shooting head for the course, and it is also convenient under the trees in the bridge pool in case of high water and in Rønningshølen (Langøra).
    A multi-tip line is well suited for this beat and for fishing Gaula in August in general.
    Sea trout fishing on the beat can be good, so you should bring some sea trout files. I guess you will bring a single hander for the course. There is a proposal to protect the sea trout this season, so this may be out of bounds or strictly catch and release. You should check this closer with Granbo.

Pray for rain and water!
    Last edited by knutalf; 08-04-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks Knutalf
    How does the Gaula fish in August?
    Cheers
    Nick

It can be good depending on the water level. We fished the beat some years ago during the last days of July and had several fresh salmon. in my opinion you should hope to have 40-80 m3/s at Gaulfossen gauge. This makes most of the beat fishable, particularly the stretch upstream of the bridge which is a very good place.
    knut

Supposedly you can nearly fish 24hrs for salmon during the long day and sea trout during the short night so should get lots of practice, bring on the modafinil.
    Any advice welcome.
    Nick
    And do NOT forget the insect repellent for the midges!!

are they a big problem?

are they a big problem?

The midges are nothing to worry about, the humungus horse flies however are big enough i imagine to make even the knarliest midge bitten Scotsman tremble , god help you if your a soft southern type!
    Last edited by ianjones; 11-04-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianjones View Post
    The midges are nothing to worry about, the humungus horse flies however are big enough i imagine to make even the knarliest midge bitten Scotsman tremble , god help you if your a soft southern type!
    With all due respect for ianjones' opinion, yes they can be a problem in the evening and "night"!

Grew up fishing in SI NZ, where the the sand flies are so vicious that clouds of them have been know to carry off live stock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast