Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default Trondheim area (Orkla, Gaula, Nidelva, Stjordal) 2012

Just to have started a new thread.

Not much happening now, obviously, we're still 4,5 months from the opening ... So far it has been an unusually mild winter, with more very strong storms than usual. But we have snow cover, and up in the mountains/most of the catchments, there is quite a lot of snow already. So we have enough snow to produce half a decent spring thaw/flood already (whenever that happens ...)

Ursus

Default norway

keep the reports coming ursus ,always intresting too find out what happening cheers

I'm looking forward to fishing the June 1st 'Premiere' this year on the Orkla, for the first time. Fish may be scarce, and the water may be high and cold, but if anything is connected with, it should be an absolute lunker!

Been there last couple of years on opening.Good hardcore salmon fishing in early June,I like that.Maybe not so easy fishing but if hooked something its not a grilse But You allready know it Crispin..I have first 9 days fishing on this season also,looking forward it!

But now...Drive to Helsinki and take off to Aberdeen on early morning,here I come Dee springers!JIIIIHAAAAA!!!!

Crispin, does that mean we won't be having you with us on week 3?

I'm there for your week too Pot Belly, and again for the third week in July, with several other forum members.

Default Middle/upper Orkla early June

To predict when the fish arrive and what the conditions might be in Orkla in early June is close to science fiction. What we do know, is that the sea is warmer than usual this winter. According to researchers, the avg sea temp has been 6,5 C so far, compared to 4,5 C last year and an avg of 5,5 C the last 10 years. And we've had a milder and more stormy winter "than usual" so far, probably because of a warmer sea. We also have a decent level of snow in the mountains, given that the winter will last for some months. And we usually see a lot of snow falling in late feb/early March. And snow usually accumulates in the mountains well into April. So a decent snowmelt/flood seems reasonable to expect. The levels in the hydropower dams are also much higher this year than last year, mostly due to a very wet "summer" last year and a mild winter so far.

Based on the fiscounter data at Bjørset (lower Meldal), the fishes usually pass at the time when they turn it on (mid May). And good levels of fish are usually holding in the big Igd and Pollen pools in Rennebu (above Meldal) when the season opens. But the river is quite steep with hard currents from Vormstad up to Meldal, so we need watertemps some deg above 6 C to make the fish move upstrems in big numbers before the opening I believe. We also have quite an early easter this year, and the snowmelt usually starts around easter whenever that is in the spring. So at the moment, it seems to be conditions for a good start.

Last years catchdata also shows that among norwegian rivers only Gaula fished better than Orkla in total i 2011, so the stocks in Orkla seem to be good at the moment. And with the fish staying longer at sea for the moment due to less food for the small fish, the trend with less grilse and more 2 and 3 sw fish probably continues.

For once I plan to be out on the first days myself this year, on middle Orkla. I just prey that we don't get too much or too cold water, and that the fish are running into the coast at the time. If so, the rest is up to me and others fishing ;-) Heavy rods, a lot of strong backing, 3D lines in several sinking weights, a strong leader and big tubes will be the chosen equipment ! 20-25 lbs freshly run fish in a lot of water usually means fantastic fights ;-)

4 months to go ...

Ursus
    Last edited by Ursus Nautilus; 05-02-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Default Mid March update

A couple of months until the first rivers in the area opens. We have had some very mild and very wet weeks recently, so most rivers have already lost their ice cover in the lower lying areas. Still plenty of snow in the mountains, but we have little ground frost, and the groundwater level is high. And to Top it up, much of the snow is wet/heavy in the lower layers This means that the thaw and spring flood might happen fast when the springthaw really gets going.

Ursus

Default Early april update

March is now over, luckily. The last few weeks have probably Produced the worst March weather ever. Trondheim ended with nearly 400 % of the annual rainfall, and yes, it was rain. This has resulted in severe floodings, landslides, closed roads, closed railroads and so on. Awful weather !

Since the weather has been southwesterly, lowerlying and more northern watercourses have been worst hit. Stjordal, Forra, Verdal and Namsen have all Seen huge floods. Gaula went up to 500 m3/s, and even the lower Nid saw a flood. But in the higher lying headwaters (Gaula, even more Orkla and especially Driva) snow is still acumulating. It will be interesting to see the spring flood this year. The grounwaterlevel is high, it is very little frost in the ground and the snow is wet and deep in places. A sudden change to warm and wet weather will give huge floods.

The 10 day forecast now is a strong northwesternly and a lot of snow in higher lying areas, and rain in the lowest lying areas. The sea is still warm, so we are probably still heading for an early spring.

Ursus

Default Early april update

March is now over, luckily. The last few weeks have probably Produced the worst March weather ever. Trondheim ended with nearly 400 % of the annual rainfall, and yes, it was rain. This has resulted in severe floodings, landslides, closed roads, closed railroads and so on. Awful weather !

Since the weather has been southwesterly, lowerlying and more northern watercourses have been worst hit. Stjordal, Forra, Verdal and Namsen have all Seen huge floods. Gaula went up to 500 m3/s, and even the lower Nid saw a flood. But in the higher lying headwaters (Gaula, even more Orkla and especially Driva) snow is still acumulating. It will be interesting to see the spring flood this year. The grounwaterlevel is high, it is very little frost in the ground and the snow is wet and deep in places. A sudden change to warm and wet weather will give huge floods.

The 10 day forecast now is a strong northwesternly and a lot of snow in higher lying areas, and rain in the lowest lying areas. The sea is still warm, so we are probably still heading for an early spring.

Ursus

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast