Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pitlochry
    Posts
    413

    Default Russia-Middle varzuga

    Guess who has been tying for Russia:



    Funny thing is it does not matter how many hundreds of flies I already have in various boxes, I love tying up specially for a trip. I think it helps to build up the whole anticipation bit.
    A few hitch tubes to do and I am done although Roxtons latest report today is that the spring is very late with high, cold water. Plenty of fish around though and some big ones among them.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    looking good there jim,

    what are the ones on the bottom right handside.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Of Scotland
    Posts
    753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    looking good there jim,

    what are the ones on the bottom right handside.
    I was wondering that too Macd, look a bit like tummel shrimps.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    good shout iain, i think you might be right.

    jim?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Crathes
    Posts
    402

    Default

    When are you out there Jim?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Belfast/Derry
    Posts
    7,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    looking good there jim,

    what are the ones on the bottom right handside.

    Thunder & Lightening variation

    but looks like tummel shrimp too

    great flies there but why only Russia looks like they'd do the business anywhere
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pitlochry
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    looking good there jim,

    what are the ones on the bottom right handside.
    Mediators. They were originally tied by the late Jean Luc Martine who lived for a good number of years at Pitlochry. He tied it specifically for the Tummel but it works anywhere salmon are to be found. It is particularly good on the Kola and is a bit more subtle than Allys etc. Jean Luc used to tie his jungle cock eyes on the underside of the fly using a theory that the salmon saw them better! I don't subscribe to that theory.
    I believe the Tummel shrimp is something of a copy of Jean Luc's Mediator which was around long before it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pitlochry
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salar76 View Post
    When are you out there Jim?
    Sorry I should have said that I fly out this Friday and can hardly wait !!

    MacD..... you will see a number of Park Shrimps in the armoury. I hope to catch the first Varzuga salmon on one (if not already done !)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Crathes
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimthefish View Post
    Sorry I should have said that I fly out this Friday and can hardly wait !!

    MacD..... you will see a number of Park Shrimps in the armoury. I hope to catch the first Varzuga salmon on one (if not already done !)
    Fantastic! I hope you add another century to your name! Look forward to the report...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimthefish View Post
    Mediators. They were originally tied by the late Jean Luc Martine who lived for a good number of years at Pitlochry. He tied it specifically for the Tummel but it works anywhere salmon are to be found. It is particularly good on the Kola and is a bit more subtle than Allys etc. Jean Luc used to tie his jungle cock eyes on the underside of the fly using a theory that the salmon saw them better! I don't subscribe to that theory.
    I believe the Tummel shrimp is something of a copy of Jean Luc's Mediator which was around long before it.
    any chance of a close up and pattern- it looks very tempting Jim.

    I noticed the Park Shrimps and look forward to a pic of one hanging out of the mouth of one of those Varguza fuishes

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •