Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Default Looking for information on Sweden

Son is now working in Stockholm and I plan to go over and visit him in August. The idea is to have a couple of days in Stockholm and then 3 or 4 days fishing. Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.

Start by fishing in the centre of Stockholm!

The river that runs through the city (and splits around several beautiful buildings) has good runs of salmon, sea trout, and a lot of resident coarse fish, all of which take the fly, as well as spinners.

I normally take a couple of Smuggler rods, and fish the fly in faster moving water (usually when the weirs are open), and spin in the more canal-like stretches.
    All the usual issues of urban fishing: be very careful of your back casts, but its a terrific fishery.

What I have always regretted has been not being able to fit a pair of waders into my carry-on bag. But these would be terrific for fishing the semi tidal pool downstream of the Norrbro, which is marked on Google Maps as Lilla Vartan. The current typically is best on the north side, and this is absolutely lovely sea trout water.

Stockholm was for several decades my absolutely top European city for flyfishing on a quick work trip.
    Until 2019, when I discovered Oslo, and the Akerselva river!

If you have time to travel, I could suggest you to going to Mörrum, probably the best river in southern Sweden. Emån (another link: www.emsherrgard.se/?lang=en) is little bit closer, but the salmon amount is quite small. If you will get more time, I suggest you to come upwards to Byske or Åbyälven. From north to Åbyälven the actual good Salmon rivers start with Kalixälven/Ängesån- and Tornionjoki/Muoniojoki/Lainiojoki rivers, a good spot is in Kengis bruk. At those I could tell you the exact spots and flies if you like

Or just go to Norway, there's a lot of rivers to choose.
    Last edited by Zamora; 17-02-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Latest issue of Chasing Silver Magazine has a fine article on the northern Sweden rivers. Available in appstore and very soon in print. Chasing Silver Fly Fishing Magazine – For sea-run anglers worldwide est. 2008

Thanks for your help guys. Settled on The Morrum this year and maybe a trip to Swedish lapland in the future