Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The eternal optimist is a great fly devised by the late Mick Williams to mimick a yellow belly devon minnow - sadly for salmon fishing on the river of its birth (Tweed) and elsewhere in the year of the Atlantic salmon it's not a good one it seems for catches on this fly or any other

Tight lines

Richard

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

There is a pool on Kola called "Control Net".

Every (!!!!) year for at least 20 years they install a net across the river on 1. June. It is located between Zone 2 and 3 and installed from 11.00 - 09.00, so this are 22 hours.
    At this time of the year you can only fish on Zone 1 + 2 if you want to catch a fish, cause no fish can pass.
    All guides tell you, everybody knows.
    An now we know too...

Would I have booked a trip to a closed river if anybody told me before ??? I don´t think so.....

By the way: Nice fishing buddies !!!

Cheers
    Martin

KS,
    You are so right - I have never witnessed such a disparity between the 'haves' and 'have-nots'. There appears to be no social welfare system and huge numbers of people are just 'forgotten' by society. The level of poverty is very humbling. What it is like in the depths of winter - with only very basic housing - …. no wonder the local shops best selling product line is vodka!
    With no refuse system there is rubbish anywhere there is habitation. Evidence of the 'old' communist system is all around with abandoned factories etc. Saying it is a mind-f*ck is a good description - Id never quite thought of it like that.

The net across the river (I am led to believe) is run by the Russian scientists (PRNO or something like that). It is a research system where the fish are trapped and recorded. I was told that in years past all the small fish were removed and killed... and all the big fish were released to carry on … thereby modifying the population toward big fish. I don't know what the system is now. It was never a problem in the past with fish getting past and as Rotenone says the river has been full of fish in recent years...as always the Kola river seems to throw up more questions than answers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Linloskin View Post
    KS,
    You are so right - I have never witnessed such a disparity between the 'haves' and 'have-nots'. There appears to be no social welfare system and huge numbers of people are just 'forgotten' by society. The level of poverty is very humbling. What it is like in the depths of winter - with only very basic housing - …. no wonder the local shops best selling product line is vodka!
    With no refuse system there is rubbish anywhere there is habitation. Evidence of the 'old' communist system is all around with abandoned factories etc. Saying it is a mind-f*ck is a good description - Id never quite thought of it like that.

The net across the river (I am led to believe) is run by the Russian scientists (PRNO or something like that). It is a research system where the fish are trapped and recorded. I was told that in years past all the small fish were removed and killed... and all the big fish were released to carry on … thereby modifying the population toward big fish. I don't know what the system is now. It was never a problem in the past with fish getting past and as Rotenone says the river has been full of fish in recent years...as always the Kola river seems to throw up more questions than answers!!
    There is some mis information here control net is not a problem it's not there to stop fish running but to take scientific study, when there is enough fish in this net normally they are released, this year the run was very small control net operated the same last season but there was fish everywhere.

Basically control net was not the problem the lack of fish was, usually Kola had lots of salmon and very big salmon but they just were not in the river as I previously mentioned the low numbers of fish compounded the other problems with the new fishing system which simply was not viable for a group of anglers, as the river clearly could not cope with amount if anglers fishing so it became chaotic.

It was a great shame because as this year was nowhere near a reflection on how good this river can be, I've had amazing fishing and quality fish from the Kola but it was really poor on all levels this year

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troutcontrol View Post

By the way: Nice fishing buddies !!!

Cheers
    Martin
    Hey Martin, it was good to enjoy a dram in the evenings with yourself and our multi cultural pals wasn't it? Helped the pain caused by the poor fishing and general chaos surrounding us.
    I'll look you up next ime I'm in trouble in Berlin.
    Is the Kit Kat club still operating??
    Respect My Authorita!!

The water I got to fish on this trip was good fly water, the lack of fish was the problem, apart from one fish I managed to catch below control net I had no other pulls and only saw one other fish all week, it seemed we only found out which parts we were fishing at 9 o'clock each morning so it was difficult for John to make plans or keep teams or groups together day to day, the accommodation and grub was what I expected for the money and the guides were mainly just boat men and drivers with little or no english apart from one lad genya who bailed in up to his waist to net my fish. We suffered extremes of temp from 27C to 1C over 2 days and a rise of about 1.5 M maybe a bit more, however the water stayed clear and we should have seen more fish IMO.
    Apart from all this the whole group were as sound a bunch of fellas you could spend your week with and we ended up having a good laugh despite the poor fishing and getting messed about.

Would I go back ? no not until I hear its fishing better and a proper itinerary from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by happy days View Post

Would I go back ? no not until I hear its fishing better and a proper itinerary from the start.
    Let's get Rock Star Alex to sort out a week for us. We'll get 'em.
    Enjoy your Norway week pal, if anyone pulls out------------------------
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    Let's get Rock Star Alex to sort out a week for us. We'll get 'em.
    Enjoy your Norway week pal, if anyone pulls out------------------------
    Ha Ha sound Tam, we could always get our heads down in that village I went for the vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by happy days View Post
    Ha Ha sound Tam, we could always get our heads down in that village I went for the vodka.
    Be like a scene out of Trainspotting.
    Big Baboushka would suck you in and spit you out and then have a rake about for more victims.
    Respect My Authorita!!

I dunno, birds that sell vodka in red lippy and fishnets have a certain je ne sais quoi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast