Thanks Thanks:  68
Likes Likes:  65
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Keep the fingers crossed !

Quote Originally Posted by Gauldalen View Post
    Yes it is! The water level is down to 8,8 CBM/s. Rain forecast from Wednesday onwards, let’s hope it will be enough!
    These hot dry Norwegian summers seem to be becoming increasingly frequent! Hope you get some rain soon.

After a very low Catch in the Research bagnet at the start of July, Things picked up a good bit through July. Now it has been low again for some days. This seems to follow a pattern from many regions and countries this year. The storlaks run has been average, the mellomlaks run has been low (like 2014), while the grilse run is worryingly low so far. Fish are caught in the rivers that are open/have water, so if You are Fishing it is essential to have the fly in the water

We really need rain, and we will probably get it during the week. So far the Board on Gaula have posted that this thursday might see a reopening, if the weather forecast is right.
    Last edited by Ursus Nautilus; 07-08-2019 at 07:24 AM.

And then the weather has changed to cooler and wetter - which was needed. The Gaula reopened at midnight, and just now the flow at Gaulfoss is a whopping 36 m3/s and rising fast (it has been Down to 8 for days ....). It is no flood on the way now, just a lift. but the long time forecast indicates big rivers within some days. A good flushout is good after weeks of low and warm water.

As soon as the rise is over and Things start to fall and Clear we possibly get a jump in the catches all over. Even if this years run so far has been worryingly low for especially grilse and to some extent for mellomlaks.
    Last edited by Ursus Nautilus; 09-08-2019 at 07:15 AM.

And then we got some badly needed heavy rain. Gaulfoss 350 m3/s just now, and heavy rain predicted today. All local rivers are rising now.

When the rivers culminate somtime today or tomorrow, start to drop and clear those who fish should have reasonable chances.

Well, the season is now closed and the catches figures are, while decent, unfortunately not as exciting as in earlier years. Looking at the test net catches as a first remark, it seems that the run in the Trondheim’s fjord from the middle of July did not show up!
    The total salmon catch for the Gaula is 3397 (best @47 Ibs), to which one may add 477 seatrout. One has to take into account the fact that the river was closed for fishing for almost three weeks in July, due to lack of water. For the record, 2018 showed a total salmon catch of 4955 and the 10 years average (2008-2017) prior to that shows a figure of 5136.
    The two other main rivers in the Trondheim fjord seem to show about the same trends.
    Orkla: 2019: 3428 (best @ 46 Ibs), 2018: 3865, ten years average (2008-2017): 4203
    Stjørdal: 2019: 1907 (best @45 Ibs) 2018: 2269, ten years average (2008-2017):1954.
    BUT, there is always next year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gauldalen View Post
    BUT, there is always next year!!
    Sorry to say that but judging current climate changes and overall planet exploitation, years to come can only promise decline in salmon catches unless man kind becomes extincted.

Quote Originally Posted by cloner View Post
    Sorry to say that but judging current climate changes and overall planet exploitation, years to come can only promise decline in salmon catches unless man kind becomes extincted.
    Janusz, my last sentence was meant as «*black humour*» conveyed by the «*cool*» emogy!
    While a born optimist, I do tend to share your views as regard to the future!
    G.

I am also afraid that we are not going to the best; so let's take advantage of it fast and live next year.
    Last edited by christian roulleau; 03-09-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    <*[[[[[><

Thanks again to Ursus and Gaulden again for the information through the year. Amazingly myself and my buddy traveled again in 2019 to the Gaula to find it closed for the entire week. This was two years running the same thing happened. The only difference in 2019 is that we had 2 days prior notice but as everything was booked we could not cancel. We fished the Orkla again but encountered no salmon, I had a seatrout of about 5lbs that was the best fish. We were able to salvage our trip because we had learnt a bit from 2018. Next year we’re going over earlier, the beginning of July (I can’t get there in June) but anyway I’m hoping that it’ll be 3rd time lucky and I’ll actually get to wet a line in the Gaula. We are also hoping to get some fishing on the Nidelva or/and Stjørdal. We’re trying to book fishing in a lottery type system on the Nidelva and I’m wondering if anyone has any information on this, even with google translate the application form won’t translate and we’re having difficulty getting the office on the phone. In regards the Stjørdal River if anyone here has information on how hard or easy it is to get daytickets on it and who or where to contact I’d be most grateful for any assistance. We fished the Nidelva in 2018 , the water was low in the city of Trondheim but the beat was challenging and very rocky. We’re hoping that by applying earlier and into the lottery we may get a day ticket for a more friendly beat.
    If anyone can direct me even at this stage to any information on booking this was and how likely we are to be successful and what you think our chances will be please let me know here or private message.
    In regards to the Stjørdal again, if anyone has fished it and experiences of booking day tickets on it and can help me to go in the right direction please feel free to pm me or post here.
    Thanks in advance, hopefully in 2020 the weather will be kinder and water levels somewhere near normal and all the effort we’ve put in now booking our flights, accommodation and car hire already won’t be in vain. Thanks to those who have helped me already and thanks in advance to anyone who’s willing to share thier experience on the Nidelva and Stjørdal. Kind regards
    Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast