Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  74
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Trondheim area 2017

News and posts from the Trondheim fjord rivers, mainly. That usually means Orkla, Gaula, Nidelva and Stjørdalselva. The two other, big rivers (Verdal and Steinkjer) will probably get much less coverage since they have low stocks/ are lightly fished.

Some post regarding the rivers on the Fosen peninsula, the big rivers in the big fjords south/west of Trondheim (Surna, Driva, Eira and Rauma) and around the Namsen fjord might also occur.

Default Snow/weather so far this winter

We have had a lot of rain, a lot of snow and a lot of mild weather. Which means that the reservoirs in December saw a rise like what we see during the spring thaw. And the rivers have been open, with a lot of vwater at times. Water was let down the upper Nid from the Selbu lake in 100s of m3/s mid december, something which has not happened for decades. And some of the Orkla reservoirs have risen a lot in December - strange weather. Something to expect when the north atlantic is warmer than usual, and has much less ice coverage than usual I suspect.

Just now we're having a lot of "good ol' white fluffy", but it remains to be seen how long it takes before we're back to a mild south/west again. As for now, we just have to enjoy it !
    Last edited by Ursus Nautilus; 05-01-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus Nautilus View Post
    We have had a lot of rain, a lot of snow and a lot of mild weather. Which means that the reservoirs in December saw a rise like what we see during the spring thaw. And the rivers have been open, with a lot of vwater at times. Water was let down the upper Nid from the Selbu lake in 100s of m3/s mid december, something which has not happened for decades. And some of the Orkla reservoirs have risen a lot in December - strange weather. Something to expect when the north atlantic is warmer than usual, and has much less ice coverage than usual I suspect.

Just now we're having a lot of "good ol' white fluffy", but it remains to be seen how long it takes before we're back to a mild south/west again. As for now, we just have to enjoy it !
    Mid March now - looking at ski slope cams Vassfjellet and Are) - you appear to have more snow than the last couple of years?
    What are your thoughts Ursus?

No, less. It has been unusually both warm and wet at times. but we never know. A week with a humid northwest, and all The snow we want is in place. but for now, little snow in most areas.

I've been tracking the weather on the Kola at the Umba station carefully the past couple of months and they seem to be experiencing something similar. Certainly a great deal of snow and, in the past week and for the next few days at least it will be above freezing. That is very unusual this early in the year. Warm westerly winds are the cause.

The next 5 weeks will determine the seasons prospects on the southern kola rivers at least. An early thaw and despite the depth of snow and ice this year it will run off quickly and the rivers will be low and very warm again very early on.

This is the Umba weather station page https://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/22324.html

Unseasonally warm and wet here. And yesterday it turned really warm, and wet. So the last few hours the ice has loosened up on most rivers, even high up. While the lower part of most rivers already had open spaces in the middle of the rivers, and very little ice low down.

I drove along most of Gaula last afternoon, from Røros and down. And a lot of snow was melting while the river was rising and the ice that was left was breaking up. It was + 6 C in Røros, one of the coldest places in central Norway. 2 decades back and I'd say that -26 C was more likely at this time of the year... Sad development. According to official statistics, the winter season has shrunk with 1 month the last 30 years, and the change is speeding up.

Ursus

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus Nautilus View Post
    Unseasonally warm and wet here. And yesterday it turned really warm, and wet. So the last few hours the ice has loosened up on most rivers, even high up. While the lower part of most rivers already had open spaces in the middle of the rivers, and very little ice low down.

I drove along most of Gaula last afternoon, from Røros and down. And a lot of snow was melting while the river was rising and the ice that was left was breaking up. It was + 6 C in Røros, one of the coldest places in central Norway. 2 decades back and I'd say that -26 C was more likely at this time of the year... Sad development. According to official statistics, the winter season has shrunk with 1 month the last 30 years, and the change is speeding up.

Ursus
    I see the Gaula hit almost 300 cuM per sec earlier this evening - early for such a big water!

Oh dear! I hope there will be some water left when I get there

Default bells!

me too..

Heading to Gaula last week of July
    It’s funny whats happening to us.
    Our lives have become digital -
    our friends, now virtual
    and everything you could ever want to know
    is just a click away.
    Experiencing the world through this endless second hand information isn’t enough -
    if we want authenticity – WE have to initiate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesdev View Post
    me too..

Heading to Gaula last week of July
    Last week of July? Always a tough one that week!! At least there'll be plenty of fish in the pools by then to look at, if you're upriver..

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast