Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  150
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: River Tyne 2020

I understand Dilston and Lambley have gone catch and release this season. Does anybody know of other beats going the same way this season and will it also apply to Sea Trout ?

I have only ever taken the odd fish (partly because I only often catch the odd fish), but catching and eating something provides a justification for catching it in the first place - as opposed to leaving it in peace. I dont intend giving up yet, but I suppose that makes me a bit of a hypocrite!

Alot of the Tyne beats are going full C&R. I know of Chesters, Chollerton, and some others...

The feds not going catch and release yet but does have a few new rules, no worming, no flying cs, no spinning in feb and oct and also c and r in october.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think that Chipchase has been asking for C&R for salmon for a few years now, though they didn't mind you taking an odd sea trout. Having said that, I also know that the rules sometimes are bent!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    I think that Chipchase has been asking for C&R for salmon for a few years now, though they didn't mind you taking an odd sea trout. Having said that, I also know that the rules sometimes are bent!
    If its not written into the byelaws or into the water leases like the fed rules then i cant see anyone forcing a paying guest to return a fish if they insist on keeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    If its not written into the byelaws or into the water leases like the fed rules then i cant see anyone forcing a paying guest to return a fish if they insist on keeping it.
    It rather depends whether the guest wants to fish there again! Lots of places ask for and expect C&R - even though in Scotland they may be on a Cat 1 river where C&R isn't the law - and this is made clear to any rods new to the beat. At Chipchase the rules are (or were, the times I fished there) posted up in the cottage where rods usually stay. In theory there is nothing to stop a rod killing a fish even if they're been asked not to, but I know for sure that there are places that you wouldn't get back to if you did so! If the fish is killed with the agreement of a gillie, or the proprietor, that's obviously a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    It rather depends whether the guest wants to fish there again! Lots of places ask for and expect C&R - even though in Scotland they may be on a Cat 1 river where C&R isn't the law - and this is made clear to any rods new to the beat. At Chipchase the rules are (or were, the times I fished there) posted up in the cottage where rods usually stay. In theory there is nothing to stop a rod killing a fish even if they're been asked not to, but I know for sure that there are places that you wouldn't get back to if you did so! If the fish is killed with the agreement of a gillie, or the proprietor, that's obviously a different story.
    All of mine go back anyway as i dont eat them but i can see other anglers complaining about it.
    As long as the beats declare the rules before taking the bookings then i dont see it as an issue.

Iíve heard countess park too chesters was to be catch and release this season, we are below countess and definitely are full catch and release this year although the club is pushing for tags to keep one or two fish.
    I kept one last season Caught on a competition day and to win the prize money you needed it for the weigh in.. in hindsight I would of put it back like the others I caught but I do like salmon and half of it is still in the freezer for a special occasion.
    Lot of members have left the club because of it , Iíve heard banning spinning is next .. so there will be about 6 of us left if that gets pushed through.
    Last edited by Mattytree; 21-01-2020 at 09:07 PM.

I'm afraid Tyne fishers (and probably all fishers) will see Catch and release become mandatory on ALL beats.

I fish the Eden and Border Esk, we have had C&R forced on us, by the rule of Law, not volunteered by the various beats ( we did offer a compromise to the EA, in the form of tagging and 90% voluntary C&R) but the EA steamrollered over us !

We are allowed to take a small number of seatrout, I don't believe any angler in the current climate is going fishing to put food on the table !

Christ they are hard enough to catch already, if you do catch a salmon your faced with a moral conundrum, is it a Hen ( you wouldn't) too big (again you couldn't) too coloured (come on man) a springer ( like hens teeth, no chance)

A fish to take is a bonus, a day you'll never forget, a prize to be remembered and enjoyed with family or friends,
    I do like to eat wild migratory fish, but only take an odd seatrout, the EA are coming for us, or those of us who are left !

Our club has lost over half of its memebers, YES, a lot of old boys who liked to take more than they should, but also a LOT of decent anglers who just wanted to have THE CHOICE !

We are an easy target, over here we have been at the EA for nearly 10 years, we've proved their figures are WRONG, proved they have lied and twisted facts, we have pressed them for action on predator birds, pollution, habitat improvement, stocking, fish counting, egg disposition figures,etc, etc, the group pushing for change need to be given knighthoods !

The result is continuing bluster and poor data, someone told me a few years ago, the EA won't be happy until we ALL stop fishing !

God help us !

Itl be intresting to see if bywell, styford and farnley etc follow suit.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast