Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  157
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: River Tyne 2020

Quote Originally Posted by budge View Post
    But surely the Irthing will just re-stock itself cos that's what rivers do River Tyne 2020 of course it will need to do it from its own stock to keep the genetic integrity intact River Tyne 2020

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    You do know that Salmon natural stray? So is a fish specific to that the river in which it's caught in? not necessarily, but that's what helps them survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    The West Ranga and the East Ranga have very little spawning gravel because of a volcanic eruption in the 1980s. The river bed is mostly volcanic ash. Before the eruption they were both good salmon rivers. The decision was taken to stock them after it became clear that the volcanic eruption had made natural spawning on an adequate scale impossible and the cost of cleaning up the river beds was prohibitive.

Each of the rivers has its own hatchery. Each river is stocked with smolts, not fry or parr. The stocking process is extremely sophisticated. Almost every pool on the two rivers has its own smolt release pen. A record is kept of where a hen fish was caught and her progeny are released from the smolt release pen nearest to where she was caught. The smolt release pen is only opened so as to release smolts when the smolts are ready to go to sea. No hanging around in river. The Icelanders shoot predators, including seals. This whole process is very expensive and paid for because fishing on the two rivers is very expensive - no association water, it is all private and managed by one entity per river. The two rivers are relatively short and contain natural barriers which enable the management companies to control the migration of fish up river.

I doubt this is a model for a river like the Tyne.
    I'm told now Roxtons have it it's £2,000 per day, restricted to 2 3 hour sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by cgaines10 View Post
    You do know that Salmon natural stray? So is a fish specific to that the river in which it's caught in? not necessarily, but that's what helps them survive.
    I was being sarcastic when I made the post. Genetic integrity is another of the arguments made by "experts" against artificial stocking from other rivers. I doubt there's a river in the country that has its own pure strain of fish. Like you say there's an in built safety switch to prevents the species becoming extinct. Just another contradiction that's touted out as a conservation measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    I'm told now Roxtons have it it's £2,000 per day, restricted to 2 3 hour sessions.
    Thatís an absolute bargain, Iíll put my name down for 10mins in June. .

But seriously, when youíve smashed a pint of caviar and that duty free Single Malt it is very hard to fish for longer than 3 hours at a time.

Roxtons have the prime weeks on the East Ranga, they don't have anything on the West Ranga. As far as I know they have only cut normal Icelandic fishing sessions of 6 hours back to 5 hours, so a ten hour day rather than twelve. They are only fishing twelve rods on the whole river. What they are charging I have no idea but it will be a lot.

Reminds of the words of George Best....."I spent half my money on beautiful women, fast cars and booze. The rest I just wasted."

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    Thatís an absolute bargain, Iíll put my name down for 10mins in June. .
    But seriously, when youíve smashed a pint of caviar and that duty free Single Malt it is very hard to fish for longer than 3 hours at a time.
    Wow ! that must be the most expensive fishing on the planet ?approx. £5-50p per minute , £ 333 per hour ? I wonder what the guides get in tips ?
    Last edited by Coneheads; 19-02-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coneheads View Post

Wow ! that must be the most expensive fishing on the planet ?approx. £5-50p per minute , £ 333 per hour ? I wonder what the guides get in tips ?
    Think the Alta in Norway is more.

Quote Originally Posted by budge View Post
    Think the Alta in Norway is more.

Is there a market for the most expensive stuff in the world, just because it is expensive it must be the best, right?

Iím thinking Salmon Fishing, on the Alta one rod on the whole river. Transport in a canoe made by Chipppendale craftsmen out of an extinct species of wood. Outboards by RollsRoyce.

The Rolling Stones play requests at lunchtime in the Hut. Frodin is a boatman and every rod gets to have Barack Obama as a fishing companion for one day a week. The stove in the hut only takes £20s and you must wear Simms. All fish have to be returned unless they are caught on a vintage Bogdan which was once owned by JFK.

5YA 2 fish a season

Quote Originally Posted by Coneheads View Post

I remember reading about a beat on the Alta a few years back that was 26 thousand Euros for one week.
    Alta salmon river lures the wealthy
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast