Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  155
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: River Tyne 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Mattytree View Post
    I find it hard like Peter gray not to rubbish that report , itís bloody obvious that it was successful and any one who has spent a life time on the Tyne will day that report is completely wrong.. Iíve met folk who say plachetes thatís now under the dam was so alive with salmon that farmers where runnng them over in tractors, ironically that came from some one who Was not the biggest fan of peter gray.
    So what youíre saying is that the hatchery made everything better and it didnít matter that the coke/gas/tar works on the estuary or the ICI plant at Prudhoe had been pouring filth into the estuary (legally until the Rivers (Prevention of Pollution) Act of 1961 and the Control of Pollution Act of 1974 came into force) and that Northumbrian Water Authority/Limited/Group have wasted around a billion of their customers pounds in sorting out Tynesideís sewage disposal over the last 50 years?

Peter Gray ran a good hatchery (also paid for by Northumbrian Water) and was an enthusiastic ambassador for stocking. The hatchery was in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the clean-up but salmon would have returned without it (they already were). On the other hand, the hatchery would have made little difference if the clean-up hadnít happened.

Quote Originally Posted by NEbody View Post
    So what youíre saying is that the hatchery made everything better and it didnít matter that the coke/gas/tar works on the estuary or the ICI plant at Prudhoe had been pouring filth into the estuary (legally until the Rivers (Prevention of Pollution) Act of 1961 and the Control of Pollution Act of 1974 came into force) and that Northumbrian Water Authority/Limited/Group have wasted around a billion of their customers pounds in sorting out Tynesideís sewage disposal over the last 50 years?

Peter Gray ran a good hatchery (also paid for by Northumbrian Water) and was an enthusiastic ambassador for stocking. The hatchery was in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the clean-up but salmon would have returned without it (they already were). On the other hand, the hatchery would have made little difference if the clean-up hadnít happened.
    Agreed.
    The wild salmon were never absent from the Tyne.
    The Tyne is a fantastic example of how cleaning up a river is all you need to do to get Salmon back in reasonable numbers. The Tyne has never been an example of why hatcheries work, precisely because of your last sentence.

However, the Tyne is still a struggling river. We shouldn't lose sight of that fact. The salmon runs are nowhere near where they were before industry, agriculture and sewerage screwed up the river.
    If you started fishing in the 60's, the improvement is huge. If you go back to the mid 19th century, the declared net catch from the river was several times greater than the total number counted through riding Mill. Then factor in the undeclared (who wants to pay tax?) Illegal netting and poaching along the whole river (salmon was a great source of protein) and it's clear that the Tyne today is a shadow of it's pre-industrial past.

This book gives a good insight into the tyne and its fish. Not read it for a few years now but its on the shelf, it lists all of the old netting staions and familys that ran them etc. An intresting look back at how the river was if anyones not read it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    I would imagine the same with feeding, im guessing they are pellet fed in the tanks and they must take a bit of time to figure out how to eat bugs and flies etc, i know stockie rainbows at a place i fish drop weight when stocked but that may be down to a lack of food in the lake.
    Even if the stocked salmon take the pressure off wild stocks and get eaten instead of a wild fish its a bonus i suppose.

Or it attracts more predators due to there being a surplus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cgaines10 View Post

That could be the case, i think alot of the febs are due to the fact theres nowt to eat at sea so they have to search out new feeding areas. But then again would the river not sustain more coarse fish and browns if there was more food available due to less smolts. This isnt based on anything scientific just me thinking aloud really so i could be way off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    That could be the case, i think alot of the febs are due to the fact theres nowt to eat at sea so they have to search out new feeding areas. But then again would the river not sustain more coarse fish and browns if there was more food available due to less smolts. This isnt based on anything scientific just me thinking aloud really so i could be way off the mark.

You might have slight increase initially, but it would soon balance out. The river can only sustain a certain population. So there would be no need to worry about either more browns or course fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattytree View Post
    Been a Cumbrian lad do you know any one who fishes the irthing ? Would love to know if it holds consistent runs of migratory fish.
    I mean in my view itís head waters have equal if not more opportunities of being undisturbed and polluted by man than the south Tyne apart from the forest, Iíve worked near padder burn and never seen as many adders or wildlife.
    The irthing used to get a run of migratory fish at the backend of the season, as did the river caldew the tributary that enters the eden in carlisle, but it does seem to be a nationwide problem just now that its the backend salmon run that has gone missing.

I think thats evident on most rivers that had good runs of fish september and october into november. The eden, nith, annan and border esk over here on the west coast are proof of that.

Doubt thats the case cgaines, the eden does not have stocked fish but the cormorants, gooseanders and herons are over here in abundance, flocks of cormorants up to a 100 strong patrolling the river from armathwaite down to carlisle, familys of gooseanders along most stretches and herons lined up like anglers along the river all eating what ever crosses there path.

Quote Originally Posted by razzer View Post
    Doubt thats the case cgaines, the eden does not have stocked fish but the cormorants, gooseanders and herons are over here in abundance, flocks of cormorants up to a 100 strong patrolling the river from armathwaite down to carlisle, familys of gooseanders along most stretches and herons lined up like anglers along the river all eating what ever crosses there path.
    It must have a good head of fish then River Tyne 2020

It must have a good head of fish then River Tyne 2020

Not like it there once was, but have you seen what 1 of these birds alone can eat, theyl have a field day with the smolts
    Anyway this is the tyne thread so enough said.
    Last edited by razzer; 17-02-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast