Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  271
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: River Tees 2019

Default River Tees 2019

img_20190109_101446953-jpg Well someone has to get 2019 up and running. Working on some new variant patterns, I had no firm idea in mind when I started this, it ended up as a kind of Blue Charm Variant, retaining only the wing and hackle of the original. I used dyed blue squirrel tail, for the tail. Holographic gold tinsel for the body, and hot orange 6 tying thread. Actually I quite like it.

I'm not expecting 2019 to be much better than 2018. Predictions are for another heatwave ( in line with climate change modelling) only more intense than 2018's heatwave; having said that, who really knows what the weather will do, might well be a washout.

Overall, the same problems exist on the Tees, and without improved fish passage at the Barrage, it's not going to change.

Well, good luck , you're going to need it plus utilising the skills you've already built up over time.

Best
    Ian
    The stream of consciousness is just looking for an ocean in which to open itself

Default Tees Salmon

Thanks 👍 for the information. I can find nothing in it to disagree with.

The problems on the Tees are many and each one requires a different solution.

In any event it's going to take a long long time to revive the Tees. I don't believe anyone can think otherwise.

Cheers
    Ian
    The stream of consciousness is just looking for an ocean in which to open itself

We are seeing a lot of kelts in the river at Snowhall !

Quote Originally Posted by Stivy View Post
    We are seeing a lot of kelts in the river at Snowhall !
    Hopefully there has been a good successful spawning. At least we have not had any really large floods which would have washed out some of the reds!

Hi, I tried a few hours fishing for grayling yesterday giving some tuition with two complete novices.
    It wasn't much good due to the water rising and being a tad too coloured.
    The first thing we saw was a young otter hunting in the pool about 200 yards above the bridge. It seemed to be chasing kelts because quite a few were splashing around.
    It won't please everyone but it was nice to see the river with some nature in it. I don't think the otters will impact too much on the salmon population and I guess it could have been hunting the dace and grayling as much as the kelts?

Hi, I tried a few hours fishing for grayling yesterday giving some tuition with two complete novices.
    The first thing we saw was a young otter hunting in the pool about 200 yards above the bridge. It seemed to be chasing kelts because quite a few were splashing around.
    It won't please everyone but it was nice to see the river with some nature in it. I don't think the otters will impact too much on the salmon population and I guess it could have been hunting the dace and grayling as much as the kelts?
    They probably take the odd salmon but not enough to really worry about compared to the seals etc, they will probably take more coarse fish than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    They probably take the odd salmon but not enough to really worry about compared to the seals etc, they will probably take more coarse fish than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    If there are not too many otters it doesn‘t harm. But if the population grows they can effect the brown trout, grayling and parr/smolt
    population.

Always good to see otters. They have very large territories and will drive away (and sometimes kill and eat) mink. They are opportunistic feeders and will take birds and rabbits as well as fish. Although plenty of people seem to see them as a pest, I'm quite happy to share the rivers with them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

0 through the counter for January. I haven't been down to the Barrage as much as I'd of liked.

I did go a couple of times and the gates were down but they were only small tides & I didn't see any fish or seal activity.

Hopefully with all this snow melt etc it freshens the river up.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast