Thanks Thanks:  84
Likes Likes:  748
Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 824

Thread: Ribble 2019

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hapton Lancs
    Posts
    2,062

    Default Ribble 2019

    Best wishes for the New Year to all Ribble rods.
    Lets hope we get more water for the season a head & hopefully better runs of fish.
    I know it's a salmon forum but are there any of you out fishing for Grayling ?
    If so it would be great to read your reports on how your doing.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ribble Valley
    Posts
    978

    Default Ribble 2019

    Happy New Year to all Ribbleheads!

    Over the festive season Iíve mainly been fishing for a mojo. When I catch one Iíll let you know , hopefully well before opening day !
    Last edited by noeyedeer; 04-01-2019 at 09:17 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Clitheroe, Ribble Valley
    Posts
    1,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lancsflyman View Post
    Best wishes for the New Year to all Ribble rods.
    Lets hope we get more water for the season a head & hopefully better runs of fish.
    I know it's a salmon forum but are there any of you out fishing for Grayling ?
    If so it would be great to read your reports on how your doing.
    Happy new year Paul and all,

    Ive been planning on Grayling fishing but never seem to have the conditions when I'm free. Been getting into sea fishing though.

    Tight lines for 2019,lets hope the missing fish from 2018 turn up as 3-4 sea winter springers.. One can dream
    "If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

    MSP 1999- "If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hapton Lancs
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Andrews View Post
    Happy new year Paul and all,

    Ive been planning on Grayling fishing but never seem to have the conditions when I'm free. Been getting into sea fishing though.

    Tight lines for 2019,lets hope the missing fish from 2018 turn up as 3-4 sea winter springers.. One can dream
    Happy New year Clint.
    I was fishing for Grayling yesterday as a guest on Clitheroe, only managed an out of season brownie & missed quite a few more offer that come off straight away pal. I'm a little slow to react when I'm cold

  5. #5

    Default

    Hooking grayling on the nymph is not easy if you only fish the method every now and then - as I found out on my one trip before Christmas !

    Quick detection of takes and an instant strike are essential, they spit the fly out very quickly.

    With very good grayling stocks in the river, the potential for a good catch is high though.

  6. #6

    Default

    Happy New year!
    I hooked my first grayling on the Hodder before Christmas. On a self tied dry fly too. Must be beginners luck. Had loads of takes, but couldn't connect with any more. Any ideas why?

    Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marksnsparks View Post
    Happy New year!
    I hooked my first grayling on the Hodder before Christmas. On a self tied dry fly too. Must be beginners luck. Had loads of takes, but couldn't connect with any more. Any ideas why?

    Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
    Grayling can be notoriously difficult to hook on a dry fly, there have been some interesting articles in fly fishing magazines about it. My own observations are that my hooking success rate has been higher on small flies (size 16 to 20). Generally striking fairly quickly. On nymphs, the normal problem is spotting the take and striking quickly enough. I think with a bit of practice and the right set up (some sort of indicator or different coloured sections of leader), the success rate would increase dramatically.

  8. #8

    Default

    Tight lines to all on the Ribble

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Occasional salmon fisher View Post
    Grayling can be notoriously difficult to hook on a dry fly, there have been some interesting articles in fly fishing magazines about it. My own observations are that my hooking success rate has been higher on small flies (size 16 to 20). Generally striking fairly quickly. On nymphs, the normal problem is spotting the take and striking quickly enough. I think with a bit of practice and the right set up (some sort of indicator or different coloured sections of leader), the success rate would increase dramatically.
    OK thanks for that. Any suggestions for a nymph pattern? I was thinking of an invicta or something red?

    Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Default

    Ive always though that grayling are hard to hook on the dry fly because they have an under slung mouth. Could be wrong though.

Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •