Thanks Thanks:  76
Likes Likes:  739
Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980

Thread: Ribble 2019

Quote Originally Posted by SP8 View Post
    Not sure if any going up the Calder since the hydro opened at Whalley weir. As I understand it no salmon fry or parr have been found when sampling since it opened.

SP8
    I thought there was a fish pass on whalley weir ? I seem to remember seeing something about salmon back up near Burnley this year ? Or was it a dream Ribble 2019

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I hope it hasn't stopped salmon running the Calder. I know that salmon used to run it because I used to see them before they knocked Padiham weir down. I caught a salmon kelt about 5 year ago while fishing for grayling. I was hoping that salmon & sea trout stocks would revive once all the dams & weirs were removed. I was & still am hoping that we get a healthy stock of Migratory fish run the Calder in the future.

This is what they say.

"The £5.3m hydropower scheme will use the flow of the River Calder to power a single 500kW axial turbine that will generate around 2.3million units of carbon-free electricity per year, equivalent to the consumption of 800 households. It will run 24/7, 10-11 months of the year, for at least the next 100 years. Salmon, eels and other migratory fish will be able to pass the hydro scheme’s weir safely, protected by the 33-tonne custom-designed inlet screen."

Sounds like their plan might not be working. What can/does anyone do, if this is proved to be the case. "Oh, you must take it all down. No salmon are running." Fat chance of that. I wonder what hoops they had to go through to prove that this would work, prior to beginning construction. Lots, I hope, but perhaps not, who knows?

I'll see if I can turn anything up.

You only have to look at the River Wear thread to see what damage such a scheme can do. I don't think any of these schemes have lived up to their promises.
    A better design could be achieved that avoids wildlife damage, but it would cost more and the authorities are all too keen to "be seen" to be doing something about climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancsflyman View Post
    I hope it hasn't stopped salmon running the Calder. I know that salmon used to run it because I used to see them before they knocked Padiham weir down. I caught a salmon kelt about 5 year ago while fishing for grayling. I was hoping that salmon & sea trout stocks would revive once all the dams & weirs were removed. I was & still am hoping that we get a healthy stock of Migratory fish run the Calder in the future.
    I was up that way today so stopped to have a look at the weir. You can't actually get close as it is a private driveway down the side of the river now. The fish "ladder" doesn't seem to have a great volume of water going down it, bulk of the flow is going through the screw, even though the river was up quite a bit Ribble 2019 Just seems now you only need to add the words "green" or "eco" to a project and planning consent gets bulldozed through no matter what the consequences.

I can't remember now where I saw the info. I also read that the hydro company have been refusing access to the EA. These schemes are the kiss of death to rivers.

SP8

I remember a few years ago the issues that was going on with the Hydro screw up at Settle. I recall the fish weren't passing because of the vibration off the screw. I seem to remember that it had to be turned off from time to time. In the end I think it packed in because one of the bearings had seized or something & it was going to cost a fortune to put it right, that was the last time I heard anything about it.

Pollution incident on savick brook yesterday, farm slurry affecting 3km of the stream Ribble 2019 probably too low down to effect the main Ribble but a sign of what we have to contend with. EA are investigating.

Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980