Thanks Thanks:  76
Likes Likes:  739
Page 69 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Ribble 2019

I'd worry if you're not seeing Otters now n again as they'll follow the food source!,so if you've Otters there should be something there for an Angler to catch!.
    Might not allways be Salmon and Sea Trout, but at this time of year I think its a damn good indication there's a few fish about!
    Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by budge View Post
    trouble is I also see cormorants regularly too.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    Haven't seen any Cormorants for a while (including up on the local Resr). Last one I saw recently was up at the Pitlochry Dam pool, bu66er surfaced right next to me, looked me in the eye then proceeded to "work" the pool for a good half an hour before disappearing. Grrr....
    Last edited by noeyedeer; 21-10-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noeyedeer View Post
    Haven't seen any Cormorants for a while (including up on the local Resr). Last one I saw recently was up at the Pitlochry Dam pool, bu66er surfaced right next to me, looked me in the eye then proceeded to "work" the pool for a good half an hour before disappearing. Grrr....
    I think they like it where I fish because it isn't busy and they don't get disturbed much. I actually had one working the pool i was fishing earlier this year Ribble 2019 As for otters they seem to enjoy snacking on the odd big barbel or two through the winter !

I agree that it's nice to see these creatures and not a worry. The three mentioned earlier are those that I see most often. Little egret, kingfisher, and otter, but also, earlier in the year, there were two heron, every time we went, but they seem to have gone now. We see the kingfishers every time. Makes me think there must be plenty of fish about or they wouldn't be there. I did read, though don't know how much credence to give it, but can certainly see some logic to it, that an otter will improve the general health and overall size of the fish stocks. Like I said, I don't know for sure, but can follow how that might occur.

I have only seen one mink in the past 2 years so that's a good thing. Apparently otters won't tolerate them in their territory. I see little egrets regularly, I think they roost down at Brockholes, trouble is I also see cormorants regularly too.
    Let's hope for a dry week to make the fish hold up a bit in the lower river rather than scooting straight through. That's if there's any still running from the sea.

I hope a few scoot up to my bit next week ( after you've caught a couple! ) Hope you get lucky for the last few days and I'm hoping to break my Ribble duck as it's not for the want of trying. Been to Brockholes this year and as I was walking around one of the lakes two Roe deer came wandering past which surprised me a little being so close to the M6? Nice to hear of one or two being caught though
    Last edited by doubletaper; 21-10-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doubletaper View Post
    I hope a few scoot up to my bit next week ( after you've caught a couple! ) Hope you get lucky for the last few days and I'm hoping to break my Ribble duck as it's not for the want of trying. Been to Brockholes this year and as I was walking around one of the lakes two Roe deer came wandering past which surprised me a little being so close to the M6? Nice to hear of one or two being caught though
    Ha ha chance would be a fine thing. I suppose the Ribble is pretty much like most rivers regarding catches at this time of year, high water = famine on the bottom beats and bonanza higher up (relatively speaking) I will be out on Wednesday and the weekend water level permitting Ribble 2019
    Seen a few roe deer this year, usually as I'm walking along a hedge on my way to or from the river. They tend to jump up at the last minute and give a proper fright Ribble 2019
    There was actually a young red deer stag on the opposite bank a couple of months back ! Don't know if it was wild or an escapee ? I think he wanted to cross the river where I was fishing as he stood staring at me for a moment then wandered off back into the trees. Best of luck for the last week Ribble 2019

Ha ha chance would be a fine thing. I suppose the Ribble is pretty much like most rivers regarding catches at this time of year, high water = famine on the bottom beats and bonanza higher up (relatively speaking) I will be out on Wednesday and the weekend water level permitting Ribble 2019
    Seen a few roe deer this year, usually as I'm walking along a hedge on my way to or from the river. They tend to jump up at the last minute and give a proper fright Ribble 2019
    There was actually a young red deer stag on the opposite bank a couple of months back ! Don't know if it was wild or an escapee ? I think he wanted to cross the river where I was fishing as he stood staring at me for a moment then wandered off back into the trees. Best of luck for the last week Ribble 2019

I used to see quite a few Roe deer when I had access to fishing at Balderstone. Its surprising how close you can get to them when the wind is in your favour. Once saw 2 deer swimming across the river when I wading down a pool which made up for an otherwise blank day.

Fingers crossed I will get out the last 2 days of the season as I can't get out till then as I'm caning the O/T on nights all this week and half of next. Soon be xmas and I have a Spey trip to pay for and with so so fishing prospects money is a much bigger draw right now.

Got out for a few hours on big ribble yesterday. Probably last chance of the season looking at the weather forecast Ribble 2019 perfect water height but never had a touch apart from a little chublet that grabbed a little Frances tube and let go on the way in. Saw a couple of small very dark looking fish jump, probably ST. Someone did have a fish, probably the guy i met shrimping when i arrived. Spoke too soon about the mink as I saw one scuttling about the opposite bank lol and disturbed another roe deer. Good luck to anyone out the rest of the week. Roll on spring Ribble 2019

My BIL and I went on Tuesday, not so much as a pull between us. Saw one fish move. Did get a picture of the deer, but I don't even know what they are and the picture isn't clear. I'll post it anyway, maybe you guys can tell. In the pitch dark, I had a big stag staring right at me, just 20 yards ahead, with bright green eyes reflecting from my head lamp. Gave me a bit of a start. Probably the same guy as in my picture. He legged it after my torch had been on him for a few seconds, which was a relief, lol.

Attachment 40091
    Attached Images Attached Images whatsapp-image-2019-10-24-15-01-06-jpeg 
    Last edited by sutty; 24-10-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Sika?
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Page 69 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast