Thanks Thanks:  78
Likes Likes:  722
Page 51 of 59 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: River wear 2019

[QUOTE=cgaines10;1162665]This has really got me these last few weeks, I've heard and seen so many reports of coloured fish getting killed! It's nothing short of moronic, even more so with the current state of affairs affecting migratory fish.

One lad proudly told me he sold his fish for 7 [/Q[/B]

Bottom line is ,over the years we have an average of wet /dry warm /cold summers and winters.The only true measure is what is actually counted and can be quantified .Trust me when i say I know the river and beats pretty intimately and the fish simply havent come and arent there in any numbers.

As for killing back end fish .this unfortunately is left to the discression of anglers who as shown in recent posts on social media are unable to discern the difference between a clean fresh fish and an unclean hen in full spawning livery.
    I have had 2 fish in the last month that were clean enough to take but felt it unfair to do so this season due to the state of the fish stocks.

All fish are counted, pretty much, on the tyne as they find it impossible to run riding mill when the pressure is too high.Look at the tynes counts ,Pretty poor to say the least.Dont forget the tyne counts need to be shared appprox 60/40....70/30 based on north and south river source ,and based on this the south tyne is also struggling like the wear..Same source in the pennines same drained grouse moors same predation etc etc...The pattern seems to be the same.

My friend fish melkridge and haltwistle and catches on some beats are 10% of previous years and given this years water levels spells a grim outlook for the majestic Migratory creatures..We must treat these fish with ultimate repect and impose and enforce controlls to protect them before the wear and south tyne finally collapse

[QUOTE=Sperlash;1162688]
    Quote Originally Posted by cgaines10 View Post
    This has really got me these last few weeks, I've heard and seen so many reports of coloured fish getting killed! It's nothing short of moronic, even more so with the current state of affairs affecting migratory fish.

Bottom line is ,over the years we have an average of wet /dry warm /cold summers and winters.The only true measure is what is actually counted and can be quantified .Trust me when i say I know the river and beats pretty intimately and the fish simply havent come and arent there in any numbers.

As for killing back end fish .this unfortunately is left to the discression of anglers who as shown in recent posts on social media are unable to discern the difference between a clean fresh fish and an unclean hen in full spawning livery.
    I have had 2 fish in the last month that were clean enough to take but felt it unfair to do so this season due to the state of the fish stocks.

All fish are counted, pretty much, on the tyne as they find it impossible to run riding mill when the pressure is too high.Look at the tynes counts ,Pretty poor to say the least.Dont forget the tyne counts need to be shared appprox 60/40....70/30 based on north and south river source ,and based on this the south tyne is also struggling like the wear..Same source in the pennines same drained grouse moors same predation etc etc...The pattern seems to be the same.

My friend fish melkridge and haltwistle and catches on some beats are 10% of previous years and given this years water levels spells a grim outlook for the majestic Migratory creatures..We must treat these fish with ultimate repect and impose and enforce controlls to protect them before the wear and south tyne finally collapse
    Good post and I agree with everything you say.
    South Tyne and Wear were similarly hit by storms. From memory, in that spawning season for this season's returning fish, there were two big floods, Desmond in early December and Frank in late December. Desmond was very bad timing for sea trout spawning and Frank very bad timing for salmon spawning.

This is worth reading to understand the scale of the 15-16 winter storms. Most significant in 100 years apparently.
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...XaYQeyPIoOXede

[QUOTE=Sperlash;1162688]
    Quote Originally Posted by cgaines10 View Post
    This has really got me these last few weeks, I've heard and seen so many reports of coloured fish getting killed! It's nothing short of moronic, even more so with the current state of affairs affecting migratory fish.

How can the Tyne counts be so bad if July on the Tyne has only been bettered 7 years out of the last 25 years. In the year 2000 it had a total run of 15,000 this years count is better than that already and then in 2003 and 2004 counts were over 44,000 and 48,000, one bad season does not mean anything what so ever.

The Freemans fish pass obviously had major issues in July as nearly all counts were estimates, How do we know that the counter is counting accurately, especially in high flows, what if any checks have been done. I am struggling to believe the counts of 4,423 up to the end of September when one guy has had over 110 fish to his own rod up to the end of September.

Well the guy who has had over 110 fish as had a good season ( thats nearly a fish a day since the start of June)
    every body i have talked to this season as had their worst ever! i no a lot of experienced anglers on the river,
    who have put in a lot of time for little reward, they are not even seeing fish.
    I personally disregard the fish counts, if you fish the river often enough, you no the fish are not there in the numbers they should be.
    there is reports on here where people are saying the fish are not in any numbers up the dale, when it should be heaving with them this time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by reedwarbler View Post
    Well the guy who has had over 110 fish as had a good season ( thats nearly a fish a day since the start of June)
    every body i have talked to this season as had their worst ever! i no a lot of experienced anglers on the river,
    who have put in a lot of time for little reward, they are not even seeing fish.
    I personally disregard the fish counts, if you fish the river often enough, you no the fish are not there in the numbers they should be.
    there is reports on here where people are saying the fish are not in any numbers up the dale, when it should be heaving with them this time of the year.
    yeah I agree with what you say not a great lot of sea trout about compared with other years but I feel this was to be expected now that fertile trout are not stocked a lot of their offspring would of returned as sea trout. Salmon numbers have been rising since the mid 80s. With regards up the dale there has been a good few fish caught in the last month up there, A upper weardale flyfishers member hooked 18 fish last Saturday and landed 12. Burnhope burn and Killhope burn were both full of fish last weekend also.

Anyone got any idea what happened Tuesday?
    River up 3 metres and back down in an hour?
    River level information for River Wear at Sunderland Bridge - GOV.UK

Quote Originally Posted by Isisalar View Post
    Anyone got any idea what happened Tuesday?
    River up 3 metres and back down in an hour?
    River level information for River Wear at Sunderland Bridge - GOV.UK
    Looks like a fault imo.

[QUOTE=greenlaner2009;1162763]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sperlash View Post

How can the Tyne counts be so bad if July on the Tyne has only been bettered 7 years out of the last 25 years. In the year 2000 it had a total run of 15,000 this years count is better than that already and then in 2003 and 2004 counts were over 44,000 and 48,000, one bad season does not mean anything what so ever.
    I appreciate this is a wear thread but if a five year average for the tyne is 32k fish counted and it suddenlydrops to 17k this is pretty bad in my opinion.I bet if it were in pounds sterling and the drop was to your pay packet youd be complaining

Page 51 of 59 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast