Thanks Thanks:  89
Likes Likes:  568
Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyne 2019...

Those supatraks are the best Iíve used Iíve only lost 3 studs since putting them in months back , Iím used to loosing the whole lot in a couple of trips! Thing is the felts are brilliant for fishing the bits I was on where itís nearly as bad as chesters , loads of large square rubble thatís easy to trip up on and not so easy to bypass in fast flow.. but probably the best fishing!

Studded soles or felt with or without studs on wet mud ,if your not careful your on your **** simple as that, i think id rather use studded felt soles on the tyne and keep my footing in the river as not to fall in, and take my time on grass/mud.

Having a chat with the club secretary tonight and despite a poor rod turn out, overall our salmon catches are up on last year but the sea trout on the other hand are well down.. Iíve seen one this weekend in the burn going to spawn and by now Iíve usually seen or heard a dozen.
    So it would seem maybe the nets off are working for salmon but the increased sea trout quota is slightly worrying... how did other Tyne anglers get on with sea trout this year ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattytree View Post
    Having a chat with the club secretary tonight and despite a poor rod turn out, overall our salmon catches are up on last year but the sea trout on the other hand are well down.. Iíve seen one this weekend in the burn going to spawn and by now Iíve usually seen or heard a dozen.
    So it would seem maybe the nets off are working for salmon but the increased sea trout quota is slightly worrying... how did other Tyne anglers get on with sea trout this year ?
    I found there to be good numbers when you would expect in June and July but then no more seem to come in, unlike last year where they seemed to continue in August, september and even October. Last week of the 2018 season I had really
    Fresh one from the south Tyne.

So last year certainly a better year for sea trout than this imo

Quote Originally Posted by Mattytree View Post
    How come the nets haven't been bought off the tyne?

I had 2 fresh ones from Bellingham at the end of September

Quote Originally Posted by ashley View Post
    They went back on their word and had a trial of a new net that can apparently tell a salmon from a seatrout.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ashley View Post
    A buyout hasnít been on the table this time but I believe the netsmen may be compensated if they surrender their licenses but it hasnít happened yet.

Meanwhile, drift-netting has been stopped. The beach nets (T nets in Northumberland and J nets in Yorkshire) are effectively also closed except that the fisheries minister instructed the EA to explore whether it was possible for them to operate in a way that allowed a viable sea trout fishery that didnít impact on salmon. A limited number of modified nets were allowed to operate under a dispensation from the byelaw this summer to see if this was possible. A preliminary report on that trial was given at the last Angling Trust/EA Fisheries Forum meeting and the small number of salmon reportedly caught suggested that the nets are selective. From memory of what was said at that meeting, the total sea trout catch was 3-4,000, which is a lot fewer than in recent years.

Whether the netsmen consider that a sea trout only fishery is economically viable may influence whether they want to pursue the trial or take the compensation. If they want to continue to net, either the new byelaw would need to be changed (and that would have to go through the normal advertising and consultation, which I think is unlikely to be a political priority at the moment) or a further dispensation for a continued trial would have to be negotiated.

Quote Originally Posted by NEbody View Post
    A buyout hasnít been on the table this time but I believe the netsmen may be compensated if they surrender their licenses but it hasnít happened yet.

Meanwhile, drift-netting has been stopped. The beach nets (T nets in Northumberland and J nets in Yorkshire) are effectively also closed except that the fisheries minister instructed the EA to explore whether it was possible for them to operate in a way that allowed a viable sea trout fishery that didnít impact on salmon. A limited number of modified nets were allowed to operate under a dispensation from the byelaw this summer to see if this was possible. A preliminary report on that trial was given at the last Angling Trust/EA Fisheries Forum meeting and the small number of salmon reportedly caught suggested that the nets are selective. From memory of what was said at that meeting, the total sea trout catch was 3-4,000, which is a lot fewer than in recent years.

Whether the netsmen consider that a sea trout only fishery is economically viable may influence whether they want to pursue the trial or take the compensation. If they want to continue to net, either the new byelaw would need to be changed (and that would have to go through the normal advertising and consultation, which I think is unlikely to be a political priority at the moment) or a further dispensation for a continued trial would have to be negotiated.
    cannot help wonder how a seatrout selective net can be produced, when even a surprising amount of so called experienced anglers haven't got a Scooby do
    my three most successful flies are gold bodied willie gunn, gold bodied willie gunn and gold bodied willie gunn

Quote Originally Posted by marty31 View Post
    cannot help wonder how a seatrout selective net can be produced, when even a surprising amount of so called experienced anglers haven't got a Scooby do
    You clearly trust the ministerís judgment as much as I do.

Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast