Thanks Thanks:  129
Likes Likes:  724
Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: River Wear 2018

Default River Wear 2018

A new year, a new thread...
    2017 seemed like a mixed year on the Wear, a lot of fish seen but not that many caught (or maybe just not reported on here).
    The fish counts reflect an average year but as we know fish do pass by it.
    Hopefully we all have a great year!
    All the best & tight lines

Default Coutdown

Quote Originally Posted by cgaines10 View Post
    A new year, a new thread...
    2017 seemed like a mixed year on the Wear, a lot of fish seen but not that many caught (or maybe just not reported on here).
    The fish counts reflect an average year but as we know fish do pass by it.
    Hopefully we all have a great year!
    All the best & tight lines
    Well Chris the big countdown has now started 1st Feb then 6th April......my intentions this season to try get a fish or two before May time.I have been slowly stocking up on new flies from various sources,new leader line (s) differnet poundages,and composites,ie soft nylon, hard harsh nylon diff colours and some older makes that seem to have dissapeared from the tackles shops and online sales,managed a few spools of sly cast blue line 18lbs,it looks older than me but still has it's shine and strength,if all else fails it will do for Pike fishing,MAXIMA chameleon is my fav, ive tried that green one for spinning back in the day when it first came out but i still prefer the brown line for the Wear.Ill be ordering some devon minnows both metal and woods for the new season,my mate has a hydro dipping buissiness so he don't know it yet but he will be dipping me minnow shells,gunna try summit totally new on the pattern.

I am also on re-whipping a rod i have and made a few mods to it-ie;sleeve for the middle section top spiggot,re whipped all around and varinsihed up where need along with a new cork handle for the bit below the reel,samller sized line rod for lighter queitrer fishing.

Either way i can't wait for the 1st of Feb.....

Quote Originally Posted by Taddy View Post
    Well Chris the big countdown has now started 1st Feb then 6th April......my intentions this season to try get a fish or two before May time.I have been slowly stocking up on new flies from various sources,new leader line (s) differnet poundages,and composites,ie soft nylon, hard harsh nylon diff colours and some older makes that seem to have dissapeared from the tackles shops and online sales,managed a few spools of sly cast blue line 18lbs,it looks older than me but still has it's shine and strength,if all else fails it will do for Pike fishing,MAXIMA chameleon is my fav, ive tried that green one for spinning back in the day when it first came out but i still prefer the brown line for the Wear.Ill be ordering some devon minnows both metal and woods for the new season,my mate has a hydro dipping buissiness so he don't know it yet but he will be dipping me minnow shells,gunna try summit totally new on the pattern.

I am also on re-whipping a rod i have and made a few mods to it-ie;sleeve for the middle section top spiggot,re whipped all around and varinsihed up where need along with a new cork handle for the bit below the reel,samller sized line rod for lighter queitrer fishing.

Either way i can't wait for the 1st of Feb.....
    I'm doing the same thing here Taddy. Collecting flies, Hooks,leaders and bits and bobs so I'm ready for the coming season.
    Hope that your offer is still on for showing me some good fishing hot spots i'm really looking forward to it

Later

Mick

Well, after about seven years out of salmon and sea trout fishing ive decided to get back into it. Been buying gear like you lads and i'll be fishing the Wear, Tyne and Till. Maybe the Coquet. I used to fish the Tees a lot back in the day, up at Eggleston with quite a bit of success, mainly on the spinner. Although, I like the Wear, if I had to fish one river, it would be the Tees. Roll on next season.
    Dave

Default Know How

Well i'm more than happy to help anybody this season coming,that is what it's all about helping each other to achieve the intended goal.....SALMON-ST. people pay strong money for guides etc and they ain't no need to in many circumstances,ok one or two guides are very good at their job and can put yer straight onto the fish,but at a massive cost usually outside the comfort zone of what we call the Normal workiung man.Hey don't get me wrong thse guides can and will put yer onto the fish,and if yer don't mind spending that sort of cash for a fish go for it,the Ure has a few good guides so too does the Tyne.So im not crabbing any of them as they all pretty good-some better than others.
    The thing is we have free fishing,ok some might say that some of it is urban or in industrial areas,but the areas im talking about can produce sparklers (fresh silver fish) where as the further up yer go the chances aere decreased, if its scenery yer want well up river will always beat down stream.The thing is i like any sort of area be it the sticks or the town (ghettos) as long as yer enjoy yer sen that's the main thing surely,but the chances of fresh fish in the lower river always beat the chances upcountry,as a norm,and lets face it when all said and done we would all rather catch us a silver fish....this is and has been one of the main reasons i rarely fish above Durham.
    Last edited by Taddy; 05-01-2018 at 09:34 AM.

I'll be fishing between Durham and Cocken, but I'm not sure if it fishes early season there. I always done my fishing on Bishops water which is right up steam. I know the Chester anglers pick up early fish, so hopefully I should be in with a chance. Most probably wait till April mind.

Default Wear early fish

like most rivers that don't have a traditional early run. No or very little fishing effort = poor returns so it's a catch 22 situation ( pun intended ) but put the hours in and you will catch... No one really knows the extent of the wear early run as no one really gets out to exploit it. Durham and below for sure before April ....just put a pair of your lasses wool tights on under your waders to take a bit of the cold off or if you fish the Yorkshire rivers early doors a bit of wool instead of a hook seems to be the order of the day....😎

Default Early Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Bald badger no.6 View Post
    like most rivers that don't have a traditional early run. No or very little fishing effort = poor returns so it's a catch 22 situation ( pun intended ) but put the hours in and you will catch... No one really knows the extent of the wear early run as no one really gets out to exploit it. Durham and below for sure before April ....just put a pair of your lasses wool tights on under your waders to take a bit of the cold off or if you fish the Yorkshire rivers early doors a bit of wool instead of a hook seems to be the order of the day....😎
    Yer bang right me old mate,no body really knows what runs the Wear early doors,Tozer always had a crack in the first 3 months and sometimes caught,so too did Jimmy Whin,but when ye caught that fish in the willa in march.wow amazing then manged a few off the Tyne all in the same night.......gota ask yer sen one question Lee was that a "one off" or not? What a do know is this it isn't something that can be repeated easily?

DAVE1959 start between cocken and Durham,yes more fish will be further down river as a rule at the very begining of the season as yer already know,but they won't be as many past Durham so the chances are well increased "IF" the fish are present of course and that is the number one question? if the fish are there as every year can differ in the first 3 months-take a google at river wear fish counts to see this like baldbadger says being at the very right place at the right time and having luck/karma on yer side mutha nature the lot on yer side Now two season gone i was having some banter with jImmy whin and he was telling me about the time he just upsticks and went for a few cast in the 2nd week in Feb some time in the very early 80s and landed 3 spring fish one after the other after a hour or so fishing for nothing,then bang crash wallop 3 came out (spinning) so it can be done.

Default up or down

Not sure if the Wear is up but i assume so by the water that was coming down the tidal Tees earlier on today that the Wear be the same.This has to be good for the next few weeks,now if fish run now which indeed for the past few yrs they have been,that will get odd fish past Durham,both shincliffe and croxdale and even escomb have all had fish this early oh sorry witton park area has had odd spring fish according to T&S magazine (80s time) so nice flood in first week in Jan,let it hold for a week then hopefull drop off back to say 2-6 inches above summer level,then come up again in the first week in Feb,and i recon we might be in with a good chance During Feb time and maybe into first week in March.I was always learnt to treat the river in the spring months like the summer months as far as floods are concerned same sort of timing to start fishing and if they there well yer never know? how ever as Bushwhacker says the fish IF present don't always hold in the places where they do during summer time.We have had low spells since the close of last season,a few high spells,warm-ish weather along with some nice old skool frost and snow,like a proper winter almost,so with all said and done we might be in with a chance of a springer,the thing si too any new comers to srping fishing is the cold weather,yer have ter brave it and treat the fishing like summer fishing don't land there get out the car and think erm no yes is the way forward....brave it put the hours in and a springer may come anyones way

Quote Originally Posted by Taddy View Post
    Not sure if the Wear is up but i assume so by the water that was coming down the tidal Tees earlier on today that the Wear be the same.
    Bang on. Was up a couple of foot easy, maybe 3, at Witton ford this morn and you could actually see it rising.

Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast