Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Planning to fish the Tyne from Tourist Angler

Guys Ive been trolling through posts regarding the Tyne system, Im interested in travelling over from Northern Ireland for a weeks fishings , Is it two broad a question to ask where to fish and stay , or when would you recommend travelling, North Tyne South Tyne , main river etc . I think id also require a ghillie. Is there a certain area where you'd recommend me to base my trip, Is all bookings done through Fishpal , or is there day/weekly tickets available through various clubs. Hopefully i can plenty of advice.

hi plenty of availability on fishpal. South Tyne can be really good following water but it falls off pretty quickly. the north Tyne is slightly less dependent on rain as it can benefit from releases from the reservoir but the level has to be above trigger levels each month otherwise its just compensation water. main tyne can fish well in the lower reaches even in low water and from now on there should be pulses of fish entering the system. last year was really good for seatrout. there are others on here with more knowledge of flies etc but red shrimp flies, cascades and flamethrowers all work well as do stoat tails. for the spinner in you-flying C, Carrot raps or tobies are all proven killers. let the forum know when you are over and Im sure someone will give you the latest gen.

Quote Originally Posted by phatagrova View Post
    Guys Ive been trolling through posts regarding the Tyne system, Im interested in travelling over from Northern Ireland for a weeks fishings , Is it two broad a question to ask where to fish and stay , or when would you recommend travelling, North Tyne South Tyne , main river etc . I think id also require a ghillie. Is there a certain area where you'd recommend me to base my trip, Is all bookings done through Fishpal , or is there day/weekly tickets available through various clubs. Hopefully i can plenty of advice.
    can you expand a bit,what time of year and how much do you want to spend

Id thought August , September time, althoughI dont know when the best time is hence the thread and as to costs Im open to that has then id be aware of budget , cost of trip perhaps 800 , who knows until you get details built up.

Default Tyne Trip

The Tyne is still dependant on water levels, even though it looks like a big river, the south Tyne is really a classic spate river, you will need a good bit of rain to get the best out of it. The north Tyne benefits from Kielder releases, but these are not set in stone, I think the last scheduled release is the 18th of September ( you can find these on the web) .
    I like the fishing at Warden, reasonable cost 65 a day, Andrew is a great guy he will keep you right and the pub is a short distance away( Boatside Inn) rooms from around 80.
    Riverdale Hall is a good place to stay, rooms from 90, great food, but a lot of the fish have traveled a good way and can be well coloured, still you will see plenty, 80 a day .
    Try emailing Haughton Castle they don't show rods in September, but they do have vacancies if syndicate rods are not fishing, 90 a day.
    Cholerton can also fish well in September again around 90 a day.
    Good luck anyways , I might have a few days in September myself !

why not stay in either corbridge or hexham and have a couple of days on main tyne ie dilston-styford-waters meet.couple on north tyne ie chesters-chollerton or riverdale beats.and then the south tyne haydon bridge -haltwhistle or lambley.all depending on water and availability of course.have a word with adam(aka bellingham salmon he ghillies on riverdale and would be able to tell you a bit more)

Barrowboy and I have fished the Tyne and Tweed at that time of year for the past few seasons. Mainly fishing Chesters, Chollerton and recently Haughton Castle, we like Chollerton and Malcolm the Ghillie is a great bloke. I have fished Bywell regularly but I doubt that you will get on at that time of year and your 800 might get you a couple of days

We usually fish the Tyne on the Sunday and then go up to the Tweed and fish there for a couple of days and then come back to the Tyne, this hedges your bets with regard to river height.

We have stayed at several places:
    cheap and cheerful is the Hadrian Hotel at Wall, ring David the owner and tell him you are fishing.
    I like the Angel at Corbridge, very busy and lively.
    We have stayed at the Riverdale but apart from the nice lady who organises the fishing, we found them quite unfriendly. However, if you want an hotel with fishing this could be your answer especially at the back end.
    We have also stayed at the George Hotel at Chollerford, a lovely looking hotel but it was tired, belongs to Shearings and caters for the older person's bus trips.
    We are trying the Barrasford Arms this year, it looks good and is very handy for Chollerton.

We have had some good years but recently not so good. As others have said, the release from Keilder can be so important and we haven't hit it right very often, but we've still had a great time.
    Last edited by johnny00; 31-05-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Is it me, or is Bywell vastly over-rated / over priced, considering the amount of fish actually caught and the number of rods fishing it on a daily basis.

As you say its often booked out. I wonder if its mainly due to its proximity to the South, and not the actual fishing.

Happy to be corrected.

Hi Offshore

I'm not sure that my catch record on Bywell would correct you, one reason why I have turned down my rods this year.

The beat is in a beautiful location and the Ghillies are top notch, it is a pleasure to fish there. On my recent trips I have caught very little and the other rods haven't had a lot either. About 3 or 4 years ago the catch numbers were excellent, so good in fact the Ghillies earned themselves a trip to (I think) Russia. The catch has dropped to almost half those numbers since then.

Mind you I always seem to have been there in a heatwave on days of a low Kielder release. The latest in the year that I have managed to get a rod is early August, I would love to fish there in September.

Johnny

I see Bywell spoilt my argument by catching 4 yesterday! Oh well. Maybe that's the total over the whole bank holiday weekend?

But if you follow it daily over a period of time, when it appears fully booked, the catches don't seem that high really.

I wonder if because Bywell operates like a classic Scottish beat and reports daily during the week, it tends to set a new benchmark for rod prices on the whole Tyne system?

From my limited experience much of the Tyne system is really spate river, with very difficult wading on some N Tyne stretches.

From a selfish viewpoint I would prefer Bywell to have remained a syndicate, and perhaps not help push up the prices on the rest of the system.

Or perhaps the prices would have gone up anyway?
    Last edited by offshore; 01-06-2016 at 07:33 PM.