Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 14ft rod

Default Vision Mag

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    You can get a 14 foot Vision MAG in Uttings' sale at £225. You might also get a 10% additional discount if you are a first time customer. It's a very serious rod on an excellent modern blank for silly money.
    Totally agree,the best 14í I have used in years, sold my 14í Sage Method after getting my one.

Default 14ft rod

Quote Originally Posted by glenelg100 View Post
    Thinking about a 14ft rod for the new season, just wondering what people may be thinking of moving on. Thanks Ian
    Ian I have roaring river stinger by gary loomis in very good condition

Default Sage classic

Or if you want a real classy rod that's oldish but still a fantastic model just go to classifieds ...

Default 14 sage GFL # 9
    Have the above for sale excellent condition,come with original sock and tube, looking £150 with share postage costs, 3 piece rod
    Last edited by JACK POWER; 11-01-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by avonfisher View Post
    Ian I have roaring river stinger by gary loomis in very good condition
    Is that a 9#

Quote Originally Posted by JACK POWER View Post
    Or if you want a real classy rod that's oldish but still a fantastic model just go to classifieds ...

Default 14 sage GFL # 9
    Have the above for sale excellent condition,come with original sock and tube, looking £150 with share postage costs, 3 piece rod
    great rod with spey lines and shooting heads

dustybinns,
    if you are reading it: which differences did you experience between the Sage Method and the Vision Mag. Which lines did you use?
    When I tried the Method 14í, the tip and middle part was too weak and out of control for me, a hard brake in action down to the stiffer butt section. Is the Vision Mag stiffer in the tip?
    Thank you!
    Cheers
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by wetwader View Post
    dustybinns,
    if you are reading it: which differences did you experience between the Sage Method and the Vision Mag. Which lines did you use?
    When I tried the Method 14í, the tip and middle part was too weak and out of control for me, a hard brake in action down to the stiffer butt section. Is the Vision Mag stiffer in the tip?
    Thank you!
    Cheers
    Roland
    That is exactly what I felt when using the Method,I could not get any feel from the butt section on the forward stroke,but as soon as I picked up the 14í Mag I could feel the bottom half speaking to me.The tip on the Mag might be stiffer ,but the bottom end is definitely softer than the Method,if you cast off the tip Iím sure the Method would be fine,just no fun for me.I fish most of the time with a 13í nrx which I love and find the 14í Mag quite similar no thinking required.The lines i used on the Method I found just about right for the Mag,580gr ,37g or there about,the Mag would go lighter Iím sure,maybe I should have went heavier with the Method 🤔. Cheers John

Thanks dustybinns!
    No, donít regret. To go heavier with line weight would have made the Methodís tip more out of control. I tried. No more precise anchor placement and collapsing tip when forced. Snake casts, to turn up sinktips and heavier flies, were difficult to control.
    Maybe to go lighter to cast off the tip, if this is what we want. A lot of speed out of the tip.
    Of course everybody is different.
    All in all nothing to regret for you in doing this change.
    Cheers
    Roland

The 14' rod I would be interested in would need to be user friendly, nothing to complicated to cast, I'm using a 15' marksman 2 T, at the moment and I get on not to badly, some days better than others, doesn't need to be the same but not to dissimilar or I may end up back to square one.

Hello glennelg,
    I am sure, you could have a lot of recommendations for ďthe bestĒ 14í rod, ending up irritated more than before with a lot of rods to think about.
    Itís depending a lot of your casting, which lines you want to cast and your fishing conditions.
    If you are used to the Marksman T in 15í, maybe you should try to get the 14í too?
    As far as I know the Marksman T 15í from test casting with some lines, mostly shooting heads, it is a well balanced rod, easy loading, medium fast, giving good feedback and control. Itís forgiving and can take a stroke not too technical.

If still learning to come to consistent casts, take a comparable action in the 14í rod.
    I could throw in some more 14í rods, but they are different to cast.
    The Vision Mag was already suggested by some. This rod seems to have some followers. I would also say the Loomis Stinger 14í in 3-piece configuration would fit to the Marksman you are used to, also the Sage Brownie in 3-piece.
    If you donít get the Marksman T in 14í used or you want a new rod I would trust the followers and try the Vision Mag. Itís also not too much money for a new rod with full warranty. No big risk.
    But, as always being said here, try before you buy.
    Good luck!
    Roland

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast