Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Squamish or Miramichi New Brunswick in April/May

For those of you who know- given a work trip that I canít move and likely to be end April/May I have a chance to fish either

Squamish system north of Vancouver or
    New Brunswick Nova Scotia rivers

I know the species are different in each system ie steelhead or Atlanticís respectively but if I had a fished week in April or May what would you choose and why?

Any guidance is much appreciated

JJ

I fished Squamish last year in April. It was DIY trip so there was more walking, wading and searching than fishing. But the river and surroundings are magnificent. If you like true wilderness, I think it is great place. However, to fish such a big river without a drift boat and local guide is not easy.

If you're talking about an April/May Miramichi trip, the fishing would be "spring fishing" which there means fishing for kelts on the way to the sea. I've never done it, but it's popular in New Brunswick, but not to everyone's taste. Fishing is mostly or all from boats. The fresh fish will not arrive until June when the regular season begins. If you decide to go, check the dates for the spring fishing, as I believe the season ends mid-May.

Quote Originally Posted by JirkaK View Post
    I fished Squamish last year in April. It was DIY trip so there was more walking, wading and searching than fishing. But the river and surroundings are magnificent. If you like true wilderness, I think it is great place. However, to fish such a big river without a drift boat and local guide is not easy.
    Iíve fished it a couple of times too but never seem to be there at the right time! Beautiful place and a privilege to fish there. I donít mind getting a guide who would you recommend.
    Thanks for the speedy reply
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Spey Salar View Post
    If you're talking about an April/May Miramichi trip, the fishing would be "spring fishing" which there means fishing for kelts on the way to the sea. I've never done it, but it's popular in New Brunswick, but not to everyone's taste. Fishing is mostly or all from boats. The fresh fish will not arrive until June when the regular season begins. If you decide to go, check the dates for the spring fishing, as I believe the season ends mid-May.
    Great advice - thatís not clear on any lodge websites Iíve seen! Yes Iíll steer clear that time of year then thanks a lot
    JJ

Hi JJ,
    try to contact Clint Goyette from Valley Fishing Guides. My friend had very good experience with him.

J

Quote Originally Posted by JirkaK View Post
    Steelheading for wild steelhead anywhere is tough without a guide and a boat.

I would always get a guide for a couple of days first and then ask them the best walk in spots near DEC launches, parks etc.

Guides generally wont give up the remoter walk in spots, otherwise they get too well known.

Steelhead spawn in spring so the season may well be closed by then, and if it is then surely it would be fishing for kippers - equivalent to November in Scotland!?

I know that there are some Chinook Salmon that arrive in spring, but April/May might well be too early for them
    Last edited by LouisCha; 12-03-2020 at 11:41 PM.

Yes, I know it's tough. But I prefer this approach. The exploration part is important piece of the whole experience for me.