Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17

Default Skeena steelhead

Had a pretty tough week on the Skeena - very few reportedcaught even though river was beautifully clear - just very few fish running through. Fantastic to catch though
    Attached Images Attached Images 110244c5-621a-4428-90c5-64cfe763798f-jpeg 3a4fead3-803a-4b1c-aa4e-f5f26d4f0d43-jpeg 0a491967-1986-46a0-abe5-38bc2be45476-jpeg 

Awesome fish! Well done. I'm heading to the Skeena in two weeks time and as usual just can't wait.

Cracking looking fish , can i ask do you ever keep any and eat them ? I know i would be tempted to keep one of them and get it cold smoked ? A sea run must taste better than the pellet fed rainbows we catch in local fisheries in UK.

Congratulations! I'm most envious as it's been 46 years since I last caught a steelhead but still remember it like yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieL View Post
    Cracking looking fish , can i ask do you ever keep any and eat them ? I know i would be tempted to keep one of them and get it cold smoked ? A sea run must taste better than the pellet fed rainbows we catch in local fisheries in UK.
    You've obviously not tasted one of Loxies overwintered rainbows from Farmoor or Bristol Waters overwintered rainbows from Chew . The nearest I can get to steelhead fishing regrettably.

Thanks for posting and congrats on a superb fish.

Chew valley rainbow.
    Last edited by tenet; 23-09-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Cracking looking fish, have you tried spring steelhead fishing, I go every April to skeena country and our group of 6 anglers this year landed over 50 for the week with quiet a few lost also, its cold at that time of year but worth it. Cheers derek

It is a 100 % C&R fishery. Only allowed single, barbless hooks.

Hi Patchh
    I havenít tried the spring fishing,
    I particularly wanted to go in the fall as the fish are really fresh and straight off the sea - I am told that the spring fish have all travelled upriver in the fall and over wintered in the river. However seeing how many fish you caught I am very tempted. April is my big Tarpon trip time so I will have to make a decision. As Barentsalmon said itís all C&R and a single barbless hook makes losses very high as they jump like crazy. You have to keep a tight line or they are off

You did well, I just received e-mail from a fellow who traveled there 2 weeks ago with a small group. They were blanked for fish. This has been a particularly stingy return all over the PNW and Alaska is no different in my region. I'm about to go have a look at a river for water level and color right now. Managed a couple last week and hope for more.

That's a beauty,

Ard

Most of the fish in the spring we catch
    Are fresh in from the ocean, not overwintered
    Fish from the previous fall. Yes itís catch and release with barbless hooks but at the end of the day we donít want to damage these fish as they are really precious.