Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BC & Vancouver Island - where best to base for fishing.

Afternoon all,

I appreciate that this question is rather big and that the options are potentially endless.

However, I shall ask anyhow as this is the once in a lifetime opportunity for me and although relatively short notice, I wish to make the best of it.

I am travelling over to BC in Mid-august and after the first week I have approx. 6 weeks in BC/Vancouver Island.

My current thoughts are to hire a car in Vancouver over to Bannf to Jasper and end up at Whitehorse, way up top, before getting the ferry from Prince Rupert down to the north of Vancouver Island and ultimately back to Vancouver for Oct 7th. (I am aware that is a long long way but there are certain things I need to get done on route although Whitehorse may fall by the wayside thus Japser to Prince Rupert would be the most north I need to go).

Although I would love to try catch a steelhead, I am happy to look at other species and I am equally happy catching trout on lighter gear.
    I will have with me, chest waders, boots, jackets, 1 x 9ft 6# & 1 x 10ft 8#. I prefer to fish with single handers but I can use double handers and Spey cast but would need to hire bigger rods preferably looking for smaller rivers.

Given the options for fishing are endless is there one or two places that would be best to base myself for 5-7days or so, where I could explore some opportunities from.

Rivers preferred but lakes are good to. Not on an absolute backpacking budget but do need to keep a keen eye on the budget.

I think I am lost in the vast opportunities available so just trying to narrow it down.

Any pointers greatly received.

Cheers

Russ
    He who casts last..............fishes longest !!!

Default BC&Vancouver Island

Hi Russ,
    This might not be much help to you ,but my wife and I travelled through
    Vancouver island in 2007 and did some fishing in various locations. The rivers we fished threw
    up a lot of variety. From the famous Campbell river in the north to the little Sooke river
    south west of Victoria. we caught 3 different species king coho and chum.
    Best day was 42hook-ups. Pretty awesome when compared to fishing here in Ireland and UK.
    Make sure and check local regulations regarding close seasons and various regulations.
    Absolutely brilliant angling store in Campbell River.They will be definitely worth a visit.
    One thing for sure ,if you want steelhead check out the Stamp River, if it is open.
    Probably the finest river on the island. enjoy your trip and make sure to bring a camera.

Hello Russ
    Your choice of fishing is only limited by your knowledge of the islands rivers and locations. As this is your first visit I would advice you to visit known rivers with easy access as to try and find more remote locations may be a bit of an ask. As suggested the Stamp River is easily accessible on the west coast and the Campbell River on the east coast gives you a good base to explore. If you get the ferry to Nanaimo and drive north toward Campbell River you pass a number of rivers and information can be got from a tackle shop in Nile Creek, Nile Creek Fly Shop from the staff who are very helpful and have a web site with info and directions. There are lots of people on the SFF who can assist you so a lot research can be done before you go. Check out my blog Sept/Oct 2017/18
    Last edited by bassfly; 03-06-2019 at 11:08 AM.

The tackle shop at Campbell River is not so well equipped as it was, probably due to on line sales, but still worth a visit.
    The Stamp and surrounding rivers are well worth a go. Contact Dave or Ronnie Gunn at Riverquest Charters for more info. They are brilliant guides and really nice helpful people, as most Canadians are.
    Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by billy fish View Post
    The tackle shop at Campbell River is not so well equipped as it was, probably due to on line sales, but still worth a visit.
    The Stamp and surrounding rivers are well worth a go. Contact Dave or Ronnie Gunn at Riverquest Charters for more info. They are brilliant guides and really nice helpful people, as most Canadians are.
    Colin.
    River Sportsman is not as well stocked for fishing goods and the Tyee Marine shop in the town has a much better stock.

Smile thanks

Hello people,
    Thanks so much for the replies....its really helpful.

Looks like I will have 2-3 weeks to dedicate to fishing on the Island too so its all starting to look rosy and come together.
    Also think I will have a week or so around Terrace too.....

Everyone tells me the bears are less of a concern than you tend to worry about.....guess I will find out soon enough.

I cant wait to get out there and give it a go...

Many thanks again.
    Last edited by RussJ33; 06-06-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RussJ33 View Post
    Hello people,

Looks like I will have 2-3 weeks to dedicate to fishing on the Island too so its all starting to look rosy and come together.

Everyone tells me the bears are less of a concern than you tend to worry about.....guess I will find out soon enough.

Many thanks again.
    Hey RussJ33 - I live in Terrace. If you fancy a day out fishing with me while you're here feel free to drop me a PM and we'll sort something out 👍

Quote Originally Posted by RussJ33 View Post
    Hello people,

Many thanks again.
    Just a bit of a teaser.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfly View Post
    Just a bit of a teaser.
    I remember taking that footage - a remarkable experience!!

Not too sure I would have been quite a calm .I hope I don't have to find out.....
    Nice video though...great memories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast