Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Default replacing wader studs: question

Greetings,

I am looking for some advice please.

I have noticed the studs on my Simms rubber soled boots appear to be wearing - the hardbrite stud heads becoming smooth.

The boots are in great condition so I plan to replace the studs. My question is, do I leave the existing studs in place and add another ten to the sole; take out the existing studs and replace them directly with new studs; or take the old studs out and find new places for the new studs?

I used a dab of aqua sure last time for each stud and lost none so plan to do the same again,

Thanks,

Hackler

Quote Originally Posted by hackler View Post
    Greetings,

I am looking for some advice please.

I have noticed the studs on my Simms rubber soled boots appear to be wearing - the hardbrite stud heads becoming smooth.

The boots are in great condition so I plan to replace the studs. My question is, do I leave the existing studs in place and add another ten to the sole; take out the existing studs and replace them directly with new studs; or take the old studs out and find new places for the new studs?

I used a dab of aqua sure last time for each stud and lost none so plan to do the same again,

Thanks,

Hackler
    I would do as you suggest take out the old and replace with new in the same holes with Aquasure.
    Regards Steve

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe Iíll go fishing."

Take a look at this thread the Supratrack studs are very good Simms g3 boots vibram sole

Old studs out, new ones in back in the same holes!.Take my advice and sort a drill and suitable socket to do the job, its a lot lot easier.Most studs aren't metric they're in "old money" so you'll need to sort a socket to do the job!.If it helps, I've two sets of varying bits, you know screw driver bits etc and the carrier bit for them is a perfect fit for Kold Cutters(which I use) and Simms studs too.At a push most socket sets that are "Old Money" will have a socket to fit, if you can't get that into your drill, using the hand ratchet will do at a pinch.Sort it for the drill though, job done in a few mins for both boots.
    Pedro.
    Last edited by Rennie; 17-07-2019 at 09:10 AM.

I used Gorilla Glue to fix the studs - also works well and waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Old studs out, new ones in back in the same holes!.Take my advice and sort a drill and suitable socket to do the job, its a lot lot easier.Most studs aren't metric they're in "old money" so you'll need to sort a socket to do the job!.If it helps, I've two sets of varying bits, you know screw driver bits etc and the carrier bit for them is a perfect fit for Kold Cutters(which I use) and Simms studs too.At a push most socket sets that are "Old Money" will have a socket to fit, if you can't get that into your drill, using the hand ratchet will do at a pinch.Sort it for the drill though, job done in a few mins for both boots.
    Pedro.
    Most are the same size as a bit driver. I just wizz mine in with the air ratchet at work, much easier and takes 2 mins.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What about Simms felt soles, would the Kold Kutters work, or any suggestions , I found the simms studs wore out quickly, and not worth the cost

phatagrova, I've just fitted Kold Cutters into my lightweight Guideline felt soled boots which I've also just re-soled with the Snowbee re-soleing kit.Sadly waiting for water now before I'll be trying them out but I'll let you know how they fair.
    Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by phatagrova View Post
    What about Simms felt soles, would the Kold Kutters work, or any suggestions , I found the simms studs wore out quickly, and not worth the cost
    Yea, ive had them in my simms felt soles for 18 months and they have been great.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Many thanks for all the advice.

I went the way of old studs out, new ones into the existing holes with Aquasure. So far, so good,

Thanks again,

Hackler