Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good book

Quote Originally Posted by Kype King View Post
    I know the feeling - absolutely brilliant! I got a copy for Christmas and had to stuff a pillow in my mouth to avoid waking the missus!!
    Yep. Great humerous read. Waiting for James to deliver his 2nd offering. If its as good the Terminal Chancer it will be a must buy. Cant understand why Trout and Salmon magazine refused the offer to review the Terminal Chancer, I suppose they dont like anything a bit left field.

Only a short book, but a great read is Salmon Fishing on Small Rivers by (the sadly recently deceased) Charles Bingham. Nicely written and some lovely stories.

I've just finished Salmon Fishing on the Thurso which was good, but a little 'plummy' in it's writing at times. At least I'll be able to talk some knoweledge when I'm up there the week after next!

Oscar.

The Dynamics Approach - Francis T Grant for salmon

Battles with Giant Fish by Mitchel Hedges if you want a good read.

Default Fishing Atlantic Salmon by Jospeh Bates Junior

Had this given as a Christmas gift what a beautifully written and stunningly illustrated book.

O M W

I like to read Salmon Fishing in the Yemen .
    A very funny and nice written book by Paul Torday.

I have read a lot of books about salmon fishing and by far the most interesting is " A Rod Well Bent " by R. N. Lochhead.
    Not an instructional book but but just his memories of a life spent salmon fishing in Scotland in the time before and after the second world war.
    It was first published in 1951 and there are still copies available from second hand book sellers.
    I had always wanted to meet him, especially as in later life I fished many of the rivers he describes and eventually I discovered that he lived in Birnam on the Tay and his local beat was probably Newtyle but it was too late by then.

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Don't bother. Righyni had a unique capacity for catching salmon, but instead of just accepting the fact, he created a theory to underpin his success, which to be frank, is complete non-scientific garbage. It's a great pity because he could have written a really good instructional book based on his techniques rather than his thoughts.
    You are right MCX - it is utter bollox. I couldn't believe he was serious when I first read it...

Default Hooked On Hope

Hooked on Hope - the paperback follow up to terminal Chancer is out via

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993077129

Playhappy, Boo
    Last edited by playhappy; 02-12-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Agreed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123