Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Essential books for salmon and sea trout

Hi I've never caught a salmon and only 1 sea trout. I was looking for recommendations of books for catching silver? Particularly any essential modern books which are up to date. Scientific Technical stuff is great an particularly reading the water and salmon/sea trout behaviour.

What have you found useful over the years ?

Thanks in advance Andrew
    Last edited by AndrewPat; 20-05-2016 at 12:25 AM.

Falkus is still relevant and very good on bait and spinning. In reality you can't beat experience.
    Last edited by Loxie; 20-05-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Falkus for me also.

There a few 2nd hand copies on Amazon for around 16 at the minute.
    If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk....if you want to be happy for life, go fishing.

Likewise Falkus' "Salmon Fishing", which is out of print and quite hard to find.

If you like your information simple, pitched at novice level and in bite sized chunks, Just One Week is now about the same size as a book (almost 70,000 words). You may find some of the graphics and annotated photographs useful in developing your water-reading skills. Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have.

Yep...Falkus for me also. As good a place as any to start
    "If in doubt, put it back"!

I would recommend a very helpful short text by Brosan et al, 'Coping with obsessions and compulsions'

It covers the essentials of salmon fishing e.g.

''Sometimes thoughts are in the form of images or pictures in your mind rather than words; sometimes they are in the form of impulses or urges a sudden feeling that you might go and do something''

http://www.cpft.nhs.uk/Downloads/Mar...ompulsions.pdf

Falkus two books definitely: However for Sea Trout Moc Morgan and G. Harries book Successful sea trout fishing, is very good.
    Cheers
    Aled
    Last edited by Aled; 20-05-2016 at 02:09 PM.
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Falkus for sea trout definitely but remember he was fishing a very specific river with very specific conditions. Falkus on salmon was never quite as seminal for me but the taking strip part is definitely worth reading. I'd say you'd get as much if not more from this forum and the sea trout forum has some real experts on there if you trawl through the archives.

I'm with Aled, the best book I have ever read about sea trout is Sucessful Sea Trout Angling by Graeme Harris and Moc Morgan. Graeme is a scientist by training and it comes through in the book.

Two lighter pieces well worth reading are The Sea Trout and the Fly by James Waltham and the Sea Trout Diaries by R W Mountjoy. I think the latter now has a second edition which was self published.

Once you have read those you are ready to grapple with Falkus and also armed to be critical of some of what he wrote. I wish I had read them in that order.

As for salmon, you will learn more from reading this forum than any book I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    I'm with Aled, the best book I have ever read about sea trout is Sucessful Sea Trout Angling by Graeme Harris and Moc Morgan. Graeme is a scientist by training and it comes through in the book.

Two lighter pieces well worth reading are The Sea Trout and the Fly by James Waltham and the Sea Trout Diaries by R W Mountjoy. I think the latter now has a second edition which was self published.

Once you have read those you are ready to grapple with Falkus and also armed to be critical of some of what he wrote. I wish I had read them in that order.

As for salmon, you will learn more from reading this forum than any book I have found.
    I think the great think about Falkus's Sea Trout fishing is the way it creates enthusiasm to go and fish. This is less apparant in Salmon fishing. There is a good deal of excellent stuff in both books but you need a lot of experience to really understand what he is saying, but he was way ahead of his time in many respects. Morgan and Harris is essential reading for any would be Sea Trouter and I agree a far better startingpoint that Falkus. Mountjoy is marmite an i found he came over as arrogant and maybe not a man I would like to fish with, but there is some good stuff in it; i particularly enjoyed Sturgeon.

One of the best books about Salmon fishing is Chaytor's "letters to a salmon fishers sons", but it isnt really an instruction manual.

There is probably 10's of thousands of years experience right here on this Forum so if you really want info this is the best place to look! When you have caught a couple of hundred salmon then have another look at Falkus!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast