Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pollowick View Post
    I have been trying to locate those needles for a while but cannot find a UK stockist. Does anyone have any idea about who or where?
    Search for "latch needle", there are plenty on fleebay and in most shops that sell carp fishing gear.

Great step by step Donal.
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

Thanks guys for all the 'likes'.
    Been away for a few days (just in the door now) so I'm a bit behind with answering the pms!
    Kgm, I didn't know the expression 'latch needle'. I have used them but I found them generally too thick in the shank so look for a fine shank and it also needs to be reasonably long.
    Last edited by Hibernicus; 16-05-2013 at 10:21 PM.

The best I have used to date are the Moser loops - yours look even better as the loop is at the very end of the line - tidy job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus View Post
    Thanks guys for all the 'likes'.
    Been away for a few days (just in the door now) so I'm a bit behind with answering the pms!
    Kgm, I didn't know the expression 'latch needle'. I have used them but I found them generally too thick in the shank so look for a fine shank and it also needs to be reasonably long.
    Like you, I believe a lot of the others are too big.

Is your needle a Small or Large?

I have found a source of the Cortland ones at sensible prices - just waiting for them to confirm postage rates to me and may order a few.

5. Default

An excellent contribution Donal, thanks for taking the trouble.

thats a great sbs, thanks for your time.
    william

That is absolutely spot on,a little time and effort with a spot of mental input and its a perfect result.Much how I do my own but neater and more practical,if you care to notice hinging will be just about eradicated with loops like that.Pedro.

Thanks for sharing, superb.
    The needles can be bought from fleebay or coarse fishing shops as splicing needles.

Rod

Thanks for that Roders.
    More recently I don't bother with the sticky tape but simply allow the cut end to fray and trim it off just as I cover it.
    I have also stopped using mono to whip the back end. I found the mono was cutting deeply into the plastic of the fly line and I could imagine such a deep cut could allow a hard fighting fish to strip the plastic and with it the braided loop etc!
    I now whip with a slightly stretchy nylon thread and cover with Loon UV glue. The whipping doesn't need to be especially tight as its purpose is simply to grip the end of the braid to allow the Chinese Fingers effect to work. (That said, I find a doubled length of dental floss to be ideal to pull through the loose end of the whipping. A needle in the alternative will leave slight slack in the middle of the whipping when the loose end are tightened which tends to cause the whipping to bunch up at either end.)
    H

Just seeing this now from a link, looks brilliant, I'll give this a go for sure Nice one Donal!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast