Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: The Misguided Masses.

Springer is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    So does that mean we are not all misguided
    That was never what I said

Just watched one of Compy's videos...... Puts everything into perspective
    Last edited by 11foot5; 27-05-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Jack Holroyd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    The average spey caster has no where near the same level of competence as the average golfer IMHO, if they did I would never have started this thread.
    I'm sure that is true, although in the end it is surely about the level of competence you need to enjoy your sport.

Golf is a brutally cruel game and is very difficult to enjoy at all unless you have some sort of level of competence. I have nearly completely lost my temper (with myself) many times on the golf course, and have watched many instances of people throwing clubs, shouting and bawling, and generally losing the plot due to frustration.

The problem is essentially that the golfer is playing to a score, and however well you play for half the round, you can wreck your day with a few terrible shots over the last few holes (or even worse the first few holes)............if you take it seriously anyway

Fishing isn't like that because even if you fish in an appalling manner for half the day, you can still catch something. Also, its not really competitive in any sense and if someone else catches more than you, its relatively easy to put it down to their luck, or that they were on a better bit than you or whatever

Finally, golfers play in front of spectators at every level. Even high handicappers will have to tee off in front of a hundred odd people at times when they are playing at a busy club. There is a lot more pressure on golfers to perform, so they have to attain some sort of standard before venturing on to a proper course. You do get fishing spectators on some rivers, but unless you are on the Junction Pool or something you don't need to worry too much about it. It is easy enough to find a "quiet spot" where no-one will see your short, and often collapsed, casts.

I think there are probably far more casual "speycasters" than golfers ie who only really have a day once in a while. Golfers generally have memberships, which involve a commitment to play on a regular basis to justify the cost, so it is likely that the average standard of the golfer will be higher.

which rather supports my earlier comment that golf is a social sport, fishing an anti-social one, generalisations of course.

my own straw poll is that on the syndicate waters I've fished up north the standard of casting was quite good. many used the double spey all the time, but on the Ribble at least, before the final delivery they all put a tiny forward stroke in that propelled a tiny loop forward, then back with the rod and cast.

I rarely see other anglers on the Avon - some seem to o/h cast, and others a sort of exagerated switch cast.

I guess many of the bankers/lawyers/stockbrokers who cheque book fish possibly only fish once a year?
    tae use ather thun the fly - yeeeer cheatin yerrr weeselll

Just going to get a Cross S1 15ft today to sit alongside my Zenith
    Another rod I won't throw beautiful loops with get wind knots and hit myself with my flea in a downstream wind
    I love being misguided
    Springer, jimmylong and mc andy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by compagnito View Post
    which rather supports my earlier comment that golf is a social sport, fishing an anti-social one, generalisations of course.

my own straw poll is that on the syndicate waters I've fished up north the standard of casting was quite good. many used the double spey all the time, but on the Ribble at least, before the final delivery they all put a tiny forward stroke in that propelled a tiny loop forward, then back with the rod and cast.

I rarely see other anglers on the Avon - some seem to o/h cast, and others a sort of exagerated switch cast.

I guess many of the bankers/lawyers/stockbrokers who cheque book fish possibly only fish once a year?
    that tiny loop forward was probly a poke as in the Perry poke of course you can tag a poke to any spey cast if your not happy with your anchor for whatever reason add a poke this helps to line everything up before final delivery,,,,not sure what you mean by an exagerated switch cast( a switch cast is not a change of direction cast) a spey cast in any of its guises is

Quote Originally Posted by Svardsvard View Post
    Just going to get a Cross S1 15ft today to sit alongside my Zenith
    Another rod I won't throw beautiful loops with get wind knots and hit myself with my flea in a downstream wind
    I love being misguided
    iv never needed to spent thousands of pounds to throw beautiful loops can do that quite happily with a rod costing a fraction of that!! but its your cash to do with what you want,maybe Springer can bring out a dvd

yes a very small poke.

File:TheSwitchCast-The Salmon Fly.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

hopefully the above will clarify what I mean't by sort of switch cast.

can't yu change direction a bit by sheer effort and will power?

A switch cast is when you intend to cast a line back to the same place it came from( roll cast , a jump cast) if your intention is not to change direction

no, I think it is more a jump roll

The True History of the Switch Cast | MidCurrent