+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Which Switch

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rrw35 View Post
    I'd like to know when Bob Meiser "invented" the switch rod, as I was using a Hardy rod with a six inch extension handle in the mid 80's for salmon fishing, casting single and double handed.

    Has Bob been Plagarizing my ideas???
    Bob invented them in the early 80s, now I believe an apology to bob is in order



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    No matter where I roam I will return to my English Rose
    Posts
    1,702

    Default my own switch on the Switch

    I have handled and tried a hell of a lot of Switch rods,
    perhaps it is my desire for fast action stiff rods,

    but so many of them seem over-rated line wise?
    perhaps it is just my horrible animal casting action............................................ ............

    even when I pick up or try some rated 8/9 it seems they would struggle with an 8 with my casting,
    some 6/7 rods are like a wet limp piece of celery.

    more rod co's seem to have got it wrong on Switch rod actions than any other fly rod before,
    in my own humble ever-contradictory opinion that is

    there are a few new ones out I did not get hold of yet like the MacKenzie
    but so far I have been disappointed and sold the last one I had after using it for just 1 day,
    the 8/9 I got seemed to not handle the WF8 40+ lines I have got so many of................................................ .....................

    perhaps this is just me,
    but even if it is some must agree that some Switch rods seem to be line rated very "optimistically" by rod brands,

    brands make all other styles of rod in fast or medium or slow,
    why do most Switch rods seem to have a middle action?
    you can overhead and spey/switch cast with other actions too,
    (just as casting with a 15' rod- they are not all the same action are they?)

    so I get Riverman's need for detailed info. as so far I gave up trying to get what I wanted from one.

    I think if a faster/stiffer action Switch rod came onto the market it perhaps would sell quite well.

    LG
    Riverman likes this.
    I don't care how long this lasts,
    we have no future, we have no pasts............................................. ........

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    823

    Default

    I use a 11ft 8wt zaxis, I use it with 420-435 compact heads from airflo and zpey... I use both overhead and Spey casts... For single hand casting I usually pull the head right to the reel before lifting works a treat but I'd usually only be casting 40-50ft on the rivers I fish... Here's a bit of a video I made a while back to give ya an idea of the rivers I use my switch on...
    switch rod casting - YouTube
    25lbs likes this.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (Smolt) View Post
    Don't fully agree with you there BB, if he is only going to be doing occasional overhead casts and when using a heavier line you are only using small movements with little effort to cast as the line is heavy and easily loads the rod, plus with an integrated line you can have a good bit of the head inside the rod for overhead stuff.

    Riverman for me you are describing a switch line which will cover you for both casts for a small/medium river. If you are doing more water based stuff I would go up a line rating.
    Casting heavier rated switch rods single handed is hard work - if however one is only going to cast this way on the odd occasion then, as you state, it won't be a problem. I know plenty of guys who make the odd single hand cast with 12'-13' doublehanders. It is worth noting however that many of those promoting the whole switch concept keep referring to the ease of use double or single handed - imo this is untrue - the heavier rated switch rods are easier cast double handed.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louth
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beanieboy View Post
    Casting heavier rated switch rods single handed is hard work - if however one is only going to cast this way on the odd occasion then, as you state, it won't be a problem. I know plenty of guys who make the odd single hand cast with 12'-13' doublehanders. It is worth noting however that many of those promoting the whole switch concept keep referring to the ease of use double or single handed - imo this is untrue - the heavier rated switch rods are easier cast double handed.
    I agree with you, that's why the first thing I asked Riverman was if he wants a single hand/Double hand rod or a rod which suits mainly double handed fishing. I agree that the heavier rods are not suited to overhead stuff and I agree that the companies brand each rod as being able for both types of casting. I think a distinction should be made and it is early days for these rods but I think they will continue to change to suit the market. Still once you clarify what you want from a switch they become incredibly versatile rods.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louth
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsgarth View Post
    I have handled and tried a hell of a lot of Switch rods,
    perhaps it is my desire for fast action stiff rods,

    but so many of them seem over-rated line wise?
    perhaps it is just my horrible animal casting action............................................ ............

    even when I pick up or try some rated 8/9 it seems they would struggle with an 8 with my casting,
    some 6/7 rods are like a wet limp piece of celery.

    more rod co's seem to have got it wrong on Switch rod actions than any other fly rod before,
    in my own humble ever-contradictory opinion that is

    there are a few new ones out I did not get hold of yet like the MacKenzie
    but so far I have been disappointed and sold the last one I had after using it for just 1 day,
    the 8/9 I got seemed to not handle the WF8 40+ lines I have got so many of................................................ .....................

    perhaps this is just me,
    but even if it is some must agree that some Switch rods seem to be line rated very "optimistically" by rod brands,

    brands make all other styles of rod in fast or medium or slow,
    why do most Switch rods seem to have a middle action?
    you can overhead and spey/switch cast with other actions too,
    (just as casting with a 15' rod- they are not all the same action are they?)

    so I get Riverman's need for detailed info. as so far I gave up trying to get what I wanted from one.

    I think if a faster/stiffer action Switch rod came onto the market it perhaps would sell quite well.

    LG
    LG, what type switch rods have you used? I am interested to know which ones you found did not suit or were not "fast". I know what you are saying though but there are a few poker switch rods out there, Sage TCX being one, pricey though. The zpey switch is one of the fastest I have tried, Lpxe is not as quick.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Belfast, N.Ireland.
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    You need to do a bit of tyre kicking at tackle shops and begging on the river mate.

    "That's a nice switch outfit, was thinking of getting one, can I have a few casts mate"?...

    Will give you an idea of what suits you and get a feel for certain outfits.
    (Smolt) likes this.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Bob invented them in the early 80s, now I believe an apology to bob is in order
    Ha ha.

    Meiser may have invented the name, but the concept goes back a long way beyond that. I've cast an old Farlows rod which exactly matches the true switch concept - i.e. being designed to switch from single to two handed use - and indeed, with a moveable fitting that allows the reel to be positioned up or down the handle depending on how it is to be used, is arguably rather more versatile than the modern switch rods. I would guess it was made in the '50s, but it might be inter-war.

    Also perhaps worth mentioning that I caught my first salmon on an 11' Hardy 'Wye'. From memory this cast an 8wt line (in those days DTs ruled so no quibbling about single or double handed ratings), but it was definitely designed as a light double hander, and I think you would have needed extrordinarily strong wrists to use it single handed. Again this would seem to accord with Meiser's definition of a switch rod quoted by An Griannach above, but is rather older than his efforts - my first fish was in 1974, and the rod was a long way from new then!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cill Chainnigh
    Posts
    5,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    Ha ha.

    Meiser may have invented the name, but the concept goes back a long way beyond that. I've cast an old Farlows rod which exactly matches the true switch concept - i.e. being designed to switch from single to two handed use - and indeed, with a moveable fitting that allows the reel to be positioned up or down the handle depending on how it is to be used, is arguably rather more versatile than the modern switch rods. I would guess it was made in the '50s, but it might be inter-war.

    Also perhaps worth mentioning that I caught my first salmon on an 11' Hardy 'Wye'. From memory this cast an 8wt line (in those days DTs ruled so no quibbling about single or double handed ratings), but it was definitely designed as a light double hander, and I think you would have needed extrordinarily strong wrists to use it single handed. Again this would seem to accord with Meiser's definition of a switch rod quoted by An Griannach above, but is rather older than his efforts - my first fish was in 1974, and the rod was a long way from new then!
    Totally agree Charlie, these rods are around a long time before me.

    I still have an old Daiwa Osprey 11'6" 7 weight fiberglass rod with detachable fighting butt from circa 1979. I only cast it single handed with a double taper as a young teenager, my pride and joy at the time. Next time I'm home in Lewis I'm going to throw a modern head on it to see what happens.

    Most likely be as good as my current Loop opti in my hands
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    736

    Default

    I'm certainly no casting expert but have cast a lot of switch rods.... most in fact. All double handed spey casting as in my opinion its too much of like hard work with the 1 hand .
    Like, or possibly similar to leedsgarth I noticed that most seem soft actioned, bending right to the butt. Certainly not what I'm used too, however I wouldnt say any of them at all were wrongly rated? honestly, some were difficult for me to get to grips with, but eventually, from 6 to 8wt rods they all worked.
    I'm probably telling granny how to suck eggs here, but the casting of them in my opinion does require a delicate touch........ and someone who knows their onions casting-wise watching you 1st off. If you are pushing a switch fast with power then its almost gauranteed you'l blow the anchor just before the forward stroke. Completely leaving the water with a sustained anchor or skipping with an airbourn cast. This gives the feeling of an unloaded rod and more weight being needed.
    I think measured precise strokes are the order of the day with these rods, and as with big rods, timing is everything. To get a great delivery, a faster rod needs much more precise timing, and a truely fast action with a 10.5 - 11.5ft rod would be a nightmare in mere mortals ( like my) hands.
    Just my thoughts.

    Rod
    (Smolt) and Riverman like this.



+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0