+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By silvertip8k
  • 1 Post By gwelsher
  • 1 Post By kgm
  • 1 Post By Marc LeBlanc

Thread: articulating rig part 2...the yard bird

Default ...the yard bird...a rocky mountain articulating streamer...

here he is with his hair combed all nice...wont stay this way long...LOL...

here it is on my bamboo spey...a scandi style rig w/ a 15' head, 3' furled leader and 4 ft 1X flouro tippet...

OK...first off...this is my first ever attempt at an SBS...a lot more to it than I thought...I appreciate all the folks that have done them in the past now , that I have followed...I have made them for building rods and turning grips...but this was harder for some reason...I am not a great tyer...but I do enjoy using materials from harvests...and on one of my home built bamboo rods as well...

here are some more details on connecting the two sections...and of course a tie...I did this one totally on the fly...I grabbed some favorite materials...and just took off...its actually the way I like tying the best... you never know what will come out...and I am happy with this one...I hope you like it... "the yard bird"...

its important to be aware of the tension used in tying off the trailer hook...to tight and it defeats the whole purpose...to loose and it works...but not so well...proper tension is enough for it to move slightly ...not not too much...we are trying to imitate a bait fishes flexing while swimming...especially when changing direction...something we can do by "twitching " our rod tip on a retrieve...

tie off the spectra or floss, mono etc...low a profile knot as possible...and apply super glue or similar over it...

the materials I have set aside are all from harvest's or from my ranch...no little "baggies" ...something I really like to do...as I said...for this SBS...my first one...I wanted to improvise a bit...less pressure...and for me more fun...its how I make up most of my patterns I fish with...

materials used...

Elk (Wapiti) mane...fly tail
    Buffalo(Bison) tail...fly tail...
    Gadwall Duck...cheeks...
    Guinea Hen(yard bird...LOL)...cheeks...
    Merriams wild Turkey various fan feathers...sprigs...
    1/0 stainless barbed hooks
    spectra synthetic wire
    brown flat thread
    super glue
    5 minute epoxy

...merriams turkey is a species found in western or rocky mountain states...Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota,Montanna etc...it is different than its eastern cousin in that it has white tips on its feathers...something I really like for the accents...

bend the trailer hook sideways a bit to make sure it has some flex...tighten it up if it bends too easily...

I used a clump of Elk mame for the first part of the tail...I put this on , then add some buffalo tail on to it...then a small amount of elk again...

I get the head wrap started too...it starts back farther...then with the sprigs ied on it gets closer to the eye of the hook...I tied this a few times...some of the pics are from different ties...as all my pics didnt come out...this is harder than I thought...whew...

next I pick out the part of the fan material I want to start the sides...

this gets tied on about to midway ...

next I trim the cheeks...from the gadwall and guinea hen...I tied them together to keep them alighned...

I tie these on with a little quill to where the head begins...

next the other part of the fan...this is where the color gets real metallic...the green in the photo is actually copper flash...natural!

I brush this out with a small wire brush to blend it all in...

I put a little more of the lighter fan on top of the cheeks...then the darker on top of that for the finish...

drop on a little epoxy...then give it a good brush out...also a bit of wax on the tail to get it straight...

the "yard bird"...

now I can clip off the front hook ...its ready to swing!

here are some variations on a theme...standard and articulating...

I add some flash to a few for days when its real sun shiny and gin clear water...

below are the ones I tied for this thread...

and here are some w/ pheasant feathers...they are a bit thicker...but look good when wet...

I brush them good before fishing...and also wax any that need it...one thing...these look very different wet than dry on the vise...something I think a lot of anglers overlook...sparse is good...but when flies are wet and especially moving in the water it is a whole 'nuther ball game......

this pic shows some of the natural irredecsence the merriams turkey fan feather has...the little glint of copper...in person it is very obvious...it just depends on the angle of the light etc...

one of these patterns on my favorite bamboo rod...

thanks for bearing with my inexperience doing this SBS...next one will be better...so many pics!...and I forgot things along the way too...ted

I found this...its in honor of my new friends here...and says a lot!

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
    "A fish from the river, a staff from the wood and a deer from the mountain - thefts no Gael was ever ashamed of."
    Last edited by silvertip8k; 21-01-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    easky, gwelsher, TonyPrior and 5 others like this.
    ted ...wandering monk/trout bum

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.

Thanks for Part 2 Ted and glad you're on the Forum
    silvertip8k likes this.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 50 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Well done with the SBS, great job and great materials that many here will not have seen before.

Some size of fly, I like it and those wild turkey feathers your using are superb from very mature birds. Might have to trade some Irish shrimps for turkey feathers they would look much better than the normal white tipped turkey in the wings of classics

Looking forward to the next one already, keep them coming.

This is Scottish gaelic which I would translate as (don't trust google);

Trout from a pool, rod from a forest and deer from a hill , Misdemeanor's that a Gael was never embarassed about...................

fiadh being masculine would be a male red stag, no ordinary deer - Gaels are particular

Slainte mhath.
    Last edited by kgm; 18-01-2013 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Sorry, didn't mean to reply including the whole original post. Space is already expensive for Springer
    silvertip8k likes this.
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

thanks for the encouragement...I added a few pics...weather was nice today...snow melted , so I went out and gave it a try...no fish...but had fun anyway...

thanks for helping me w/ the gaelic proverb too...even corrected...I still love it...

I took it out with my 11 ft bamboo 7 weight...it has a scandi line w/ a 15' head...its a big bug...that makes a little noise when you swing it!

next time I hope to catch something with it...

here is a pic...that shows a bit of the special irridescence of the merriams turk feathers...its like a coppery glow...hard to catch w/ the camera...but pretty apparent in real life??maybe because its wet??

all the best...t
    Last edited by silvertip8k; 19-01-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Great looking pattern and SBS Ted. It would work beautifully on our sea trout.

Marc
    silvertip8k likes this.

I bet it would too..it does look like a mullet a bit when its soaked...something I have used before fishing for stripers and sea trout on the virginia coast...maybe even fluke??

thanks for the reply's all...I wasnt sure if this would be of interest on this forum...t

The more I look at those flies the more I like them.