+ Reply to Thread

Default How to wash a Barbour Jacket

Hello,

I have a Barbour Lightweight Beaufort jacket and it has to be washed.
    Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by heartlander View Post
    Hello,

I have a Barbour Lightweight Beaufort jacket and it has to be washed.
    Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Peter
    If its the outside thats really needing washed, then what I used to do is sponge it down with some light detergent. Most of the stains are not too deep due to the waxed properties of the jacket.

I never would put it into a washing machine.

My jacket is beige and the outside needs washing .
    The outer material is 75% cotton and 25% PU.
    I think it could be washed in the washing machine... I hope!
    Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter

I'd err on the side of caution and sponge it on the outside.

Like a fool I stuck my wax jacket in the wash a few years ago, all the wax was washed off it & I had to spend ages re-waxing it.

As a result the wax covering is not that good & there are a few patched where it gets soaked through in pelting rain.

I'll have the coat out over the table again this winter trying to sort it....
    7/9/05 - Northern Ireland 1 England 0 - I was there!

It is actually quite an expensive, time consuming business I have done it a few times....still love my old Barbour I washed it in a hot wash (you need to do a couple of hot washes with no clothes after to rinse any wax off). Sometimes twice!!! Let it dry then get a hair dryer and 2 maybe even 3 tubs of wax (Barbour is best hence the expense). Put the jacket over the back of a chair and start rubbing wax in. Some fool to wear it whilst you do it would be best!! Do it at a square at a time (as if you were waxing a car). Then heat each individual area with the hair dryer. Put a reasonable amount on exposed areas (shoulder, sleeves etc). Always remember to overlap so you don't miss anything. As I say expensive and timeconsuming. Barbour actually used to do their own service. Unsure as to whether they still do and imagine it would be dear but you'd get the best job

Before using the hairdryer to finish things off, I found the best way to apply wax was to stand the tin in hot water until the wax melted to a liquid and apply it with a paintbrush - a tip learned from waxing doors. This results in a good distribution and means that the hairdryer treatment can be used to get a really good overall coverage and penetration.

I sold my Northumberland jacket on eBay a couple of years ago and was amazed to get around 60 plus p&p for it
    Last edited by splash; 24-10-2008 at 11:45 AM.
    salmonfishing forum.com

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Before using the hairdryer to finish things off, I found the best way to apply wax was to stand the tin in hot water until the wax melted to a liquid and apply it with a paintbrush - a tip learned from waxing doors. This results in a good distribution and means that the hairdryer treatment can be used to get a really good overall coverage and penetration.

I sold my Northumberland jacket on eBay a couple of years ago and was amazed to get around 60 plus p&p for it
    Good point Splash. Forgot about that

Barbour actually used to do their own service. Unsure as to whether they still do and imagine it would be dear but you'd get the best job[/QUOTE]

Barbour do suggest that you wash only in cold water. Barbour do still offer a rewax service details on their website.
    MARK