+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Cumbrian Derwent

Quote Originally Posted by Seatoner View Post
    Same old, same old - not a fish seen or a pull to be had in 10 hours of fishing, almost three weeks now since a salmon was last caught on our stretch, I've heard the word 'disastrous' used a couple of times.
    Wonder if I can get a refund of my rod licence from the EA under the Trades Descriptions Act?
    Someone was telling me they had read something about the NRA wanting to close the river down for 5 years, anyone heard anything about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian rivers View Post
    Someone was telling me they had read something about the NRA wanting to close the river down for 5 years, anyone heard anything about that.
    I believe you may be referring to the suggestion for a moratorium made by Eric Hope in his catch report column in this month's Trout & Salmon; I don't know if things are currently that bad to implement anything so drastic but perhaps something along the lines of the compulsory catch and release period on the Leven/Crake systems may be required. Mind you, you have to be able to actually catch something before you can release it!

a 14lb salmon was caught on Saturday on the Great Broughton Stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by ehow View Post
    a 14lb salmon was caught on Saturday on the Great Broughton Stretch.

Great news that and a very good fish, derwent will probably be up today might get a look one night this week.

Default Derwent Owners Meeting

At the Derwent owners Association meeting on monday 10th of september there was a discussion about the 2012 salmon fishing season so far it was agreed that, for whatever reason, the 2012 Derwent salmon run was very significantly reduced.
    As a short term conservation measure, the meeting agreed by an over-whelming majority, that we should operate on a 100% catch and release basis for all salmon from now until the end of the season, on a voluntary basis. Can you please pass details of this decision on to anglers fishing your waters. It was taken in the light of the serious concern's many members had expressed about the apparently very low numbers of salmon running the Derwent so far this season and in the recognition that, in the short term, this is about the only practical action that members can take to try to maximise the numbers of salmon available for spawning this year.

Seem's like a very good decision to me
    yorkshirelad15 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SPRINGBRIDGE View Post
    At the Derwent owners Association meeting on monday 10th of september there was a discussion about the 2012 salmon fishing season so far it was agreed that, for whatever reason, the 2012 Derwent salmon run was very significantly reduced.
    As a short term conservation measure, the meeting agreed by an over-whelming majority, that we should operate on a 100% catch and release basis for all salmon from now until the end of the season, on a voluntary basis. Can you please pass details of this decision on to anglers fishing your waters. It was taken in the light of the serious concern's many members had expressed about the apparently very low numbers of salmon running the Derwent so far this season and in the recognition that, in the short term, this is about the only practical action that members can take to try to maximise the numbers of salmon available for spawning this year.

Seem's like a very good decision to me
    Will do mate.

Although I never fished the Derwent, I do know two or three anglers who switched to fishing the Derwent after the UDN decimated stocks on the Lune.

I was interested to learn that the 2012 salmon run on the Derwent was reduced as an identical situation occurred on the Lune last season. According to the EA figures, the salmon run was down by 25%, so we're all eagerly awaiting the count for this season to see if it's repeated or just a blip for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mcminnow View Post
    Although I never fished the Derwent, I do know two or three anglers who switched to fishing the Derwent after the UDN decimated stocks on the Lune.

I was interested to learn that the 2012 salmon run on the Derwent was reduced as an identical situation occurred on the Lune last season. According to the EA figures, the salmon run was down by 25%, so we're all eagerly awaiting the count for this season to see if it's repeated or just a blip for whatever reason.
    Unfortunately on this occasion things appear to be a bit worse than a 25% 'blip'.

Notices will be going up on our stretch in the next couple of days; hopefully most anglers will understand and show restraint though undoubtedly most beats will have an element who think that they should still be able to 'have their moneys worth' after forking out for a licence/permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatoner View Post
    Unfortunately on this occasion things appear to be a bit worse than a 25% 'blip'.

Notices will be going up on our stretch in the next couple of days; hopefully most anglers will understand and show restraint though undoubtedly most beats will have an element who think that they should still be able to 'have their moneys worth' after forking out for a licence/permit.
    I assume the numbers have been confirmed and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on why this has occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by mcminnow View Post
    I assume the numbers have been confirmed and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on why this has occurred?
    As the fish counter at Workington was destroyed in the 2009 floods there are no 'official' figures as such, but it has become apparent from catches and observations up and down the river that the fish just aren't there in anywhere near the usual numbers.