+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hardy Marquis Problem

The reel is the old 8/9 Trout/Grilse model.

It has gone into free spool after I laid it on sand, stupid i know.. has anyone got any ideas on how to fix it.

I've already opened it up and washed it out. This was done immediately. The inner components are all still there but the teeth just don't seem to be catching on the cog anymore.
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Quote Originally Posted by FaughanPurple View Post

It has gone into free spool after I laid it on sand, stupid i know.. has anyone got any ideas on how to fix it.

I've already opened it up and washed it out. This was done immediately. The inner components are all still there but the teeth just don't seem to be catching on the cog anymore.
    Is the cog after turning on its retaining spindle so that the rounded side of the cog is now nearest the teeth and not the pointed end of the cog? Other than that if the spool is clicking home into its proper seating I'm at at a loss as I can't see why it wouldn't be clicking

I thought that too but I've re-set it a couple of times

You have me baffled FP, is the spool definitely all the way home? You'd imagine if the pawl is seated with the pointed end up towards the teeth and if the spool is all the way home so that the pawl had to engage with it then it couldn't be in free wheel , will go out and have a look at mine and see if I can think of anything

Aye it's clicking home alright. Got me baffled too as it's a simple reel.

Aye it's clicking home alright. Got me baffled too as it's a simple reel.
    Had a quick look at mine, it's the double pawl but it shouldn't make a difference, if I put both of the pawls with the flat side of the pawl resting on the spring it goes into free spool; if i engage one by putting the rounded side onto the spring it works fine, to be honest im stumped too if its not ghe pawl positions, let us know if/when you get it sorted

Paul a picture of the inside might show us a little better.

Had this problem, once, myself. Could be the toothed cog itself is turning on its spindle. Try turning it with your fingers. Hardy rectified it for me. Good luck. Jay Gee

Thanks Irish Salar.

Quote Originally Posted by jay gee View Post
    Had this problem, once, myself. Could be the toothed cog itself is turning on its spindle. Try turning it with your fingers. Hardy rectified it for me. Good luck. Jay Gee
    Now that would make sense, If the toothed cog was lose that would explain it.

Kenny, I've left the reel behind at the fishing base but will be back down again on Saturday so if what Jay gee suggested isn't the problem I'll post a pic then.

Cheers guys for the help

Thanks Irish Salar.

Now that would make sense, If the toothed cog was lose that would explain it.

Kenny, I've left the reel behind at the fishing base but will be back down again on Saturday so if what Jay gee suggested isn't the problem I'll post a pic then.

Cheers guys for the help
    Had this problem with an Hardy St John- Cog rotated on spindle
    Searched the internet for a new spool and got one.

Last season was about to dump the old spool when i decided to put a drop of superglue on cog/spindle joint- its working fine since - now why didnt i think of that before.....