+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: How to fold hackles using the jimmy younger method

Default How to fold hackles using the jimmy younger method

Hi there,i had a request from paddymc asking how i folded my hackles,rather than try explaining,ive done a little vid,this isnt my idea,i got this from watching jimmy and gloria youngers fly tying dvds,which by the way are brilliant,way better than the frodin dvds i bought,defo one of the best fly tiers ive ever seen and his wife gloria is great,see her tying irish shrimp patters,there amazing,ive got most of his collection now,feather wings,hair wings,tubes,the whole salmon and sea trout collection,only ones i dont have is the wet flys and dry flys,so if anyone has them and fancys doing a wee deal,would really appreciate this.ok ive just used cheap indian hackles to show how its done,and as u can see even using a cape i got for 3-4 quid how they turn out,best method ive used even tying the hackle in is diffrent from wat ive normaly done.i can garantee if u use this method ur hackles will look brilliant,they tie in closer togwether,neater tighter and give a nicer sweeped back look,,give it a try but keep at it,once u get the hang of it u will never go back,just make sure the curve of the hackle is going in towards u,please again comments welcome,many thanks.
    kev

fox, andyjaffs, chris68 and 19 others like this.

Thanks for that Kev, I have always struggled with folding hackles and appreciate your time to make the vid.

Brilliant video Kev. Very clear instructions and makes it all look so easy when you know how.

Thanks again for taking the time to do the video. Much appreciated.
    Crisjo likes this.

Thanks for that kev its helped me a great deal , just a shame i never watched the vid before tying my first cascade today ....It looks like a friggin porkypine ...hahaha Cheers
    william m likes this.

Excellent video Kev and an excellent addition to the forum. Might be an idea for the mods to make it a sticky so it doesn't get lost amongst other posts.

I do something similar to you Kev. The only difference being that I tie the stalk end of the hackle onto the fly that I'm tying, I found that this made it easier to work with. I then hold the tip with the finger and thumb of left hand which leaves my right hand free to fold the fibres back. I then untie the hackle and tie it in again by the tip and wind it onto the fly.

Thank you once again for taking the time to make such a helpful addition to the forum!
    nomlas likes this.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Loving your videos Kev! Nice and easy to follow and well explained.

Keep 'em coming!

Craig

Thanks Kev, this is something I have struggled with up till now, but now no longer Cheers
    Happy New Year

Brilliant Kev!

Peter

Thanks for posting Kev - Tried watching Jimmy Younger's U Tube video but was mesmerised by the length of his fingernails. Last time I saw anything as repulsive as that was on the Left hand of an old Arab in down town Cairo

Sporting Scene - Tying Hairwing Salmon Flies P 2. - YouTube

thanks guys,appreciate it.jimmy is a true master,yea first time i seen his fingernails i though wat the beep beep is that,but remember jimmy was a tyier of fully dressed flies and as he explains in one of his vids that the long finger nails are there for a good reasson,it helps with holding in materials and for manipulating materials,yes i know it does look abit strange.

kev