Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Broken rods

Default Broken rods

How about having somewhere where members can post details of broken rods they have lying about, ones where they haven't replaced the section. On some of the older rods its impossible to buy a replacement section, maybe another member will have the same rod with a different section broken, the 2 members would then be able to come to an agreement so that one good rod could be made out of the 2.
    roberthenaghan and Ted C like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thursofisher View Post
    How about having somewhere where members can post details of broken rods they have lying about, ones where they haven't replaced the section. On some of the older rods its impossible to buy a replacement section, maybe another member will have the same rod with a different section broken, the 2 members would then be able to come to an agreement so that one good rod could be made out of the 2.
    I recently broke mine but even the same rod that other had the sections didnt fit mine.

Think most rods that need new sections, the section must be made to the right size, thats why the companys usually want the whole rod sent back.

Good idea.
    Im still trying to find a middle section for my 11.3 diawa osprey tournament which broke on me last year. Tried everywhere but to no avail so far.

Thumbs up Excellent Idea

I think ive a few half sections lying around somewhere at home i'll dig them out and see...

I broke my Ugly Stik's top section last season while fishing last year.

Luckily i met another angler on the bank who had a top section at home but no bottom section.

the agreement me made was that he'd get the the bottom section of the rod and i would get a 2 hour casting/fishing lesson there and then..

Both parties where happy
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I recently broke mine but even the same rod that other had the sections didnt fit mine.

Think most rods that need new sections, the section must be made to the right size, thats why the companys usually want the whole rod sent back.
    Sounds like the Delorean car everyone the same but different how long did they last when you couldnt get universal spar parts

stinks of bad production to me

Quote Originally Posted by FaughanPurple View Post
    Sounds like the Delorean car everyone the same but different how long did they last when you couldnt get universal spar parts

stinks of bad production to me
    Could be, but never had a joint thats fitted yet!!

Even the B&W;s were either tight or slack

Interesting Martin

The difference wouldnt come not from the production but maybe the amount of ware on the male joint on your rod..

Its just i noticed recently the bottom join on one of my rods that used to be a snug fit is now rather lose..

Nothing that wax doesnt fix

could be an idea

Quote Originally Posted by FaughanPurple View Post
    Interesting Martin

The difference wouldnt come not from the production but maybe the amount of ware on the male joint on your rod..

Its just i noticed recently the bottom join on one of my rods that used to be a snug fit is now rather lose..

Nothing that wax doesnt fix

could be an idea
    Yea i wax my joints quite regularly stops them twisting.

It proberly is just wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post

I know what you mean, but surely it would be worth trying another section if it was available from someone, it may just do the job and save 2 perfectly good halves sitting doing nowt.

I have currently have 3 broken rods (only 1 recent):

Daiwa Whisker Fly WF 9-11'3" #7-9 - now taken
    Daiwa Alltmor S 10'1" #7 - broken tip section
    Bloke XL 50 15' 4 piece #10/11 - broken 2nd section (replaced FOC by Mick)

Just feel it would be worth a try
    Last edited by thursofisher; 02-08-2009 at 10:44 PM.

I also had the miss fortune to break the mid section on my 12ft hand built greys royal bait rod. When i got in contact with them at alnwyck they informed me that as the rod was no longer made they could not help me but that if i sent the rod back to them that they would give me a 15% discount of a new rod.
    When made the royal cost around 200 i have been informed and they wanted to give me a new rod that retails for around 100 and was mass produced somewhere in Asia.
    Dosnt seem like a very good deal to me, so needless to say i still have the Broken Royal.
    Wont ever buy another Hardy product.
    euan likes this.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast