+ Reply to Thread

Default River Tay finale - Taymount

On Monday I was lucky enough to have been invited to fish Taymount for the closing day of the Tay salmon season. The day had been organised by Greig Thomson of Salmo Fishings Scotland Ltd and I was raring to go as I left my flat in Roslin for the drive North to Stanley.

On arrival at the beat the river was in great order, 6ft and dropping, clear and debris free after rising to 8ft the sunday lunch time. Cohn and Mike the excellent Taymount ghillies were soon organising where to put rods and within half an hour everyone was kitted up and heading down to the waters edge. 2 rods would fish from each boat with the rest on the bank.

I had been fishing for around an hour when the thud on the end of my line came and the line drew through my fingers. I was in to what turned out to be a bonny 9lb cock Tay autumn salmon, hooked on a full float line with super fast sink tip and 1.25" copper Posh Tosh tube tied up the night before. After a good scrap and a wee walk down stream the fish was netted by Mike, quick photo and scale sample taken then returned to carry on its journey to spawn.

Coming to the net

The prize

Shortly before I caught that beauty Greig had landed an 8lb salmon which was agreed between all was actually a Kelt as had just spawned. However Greig was not to be denied hooking and landing this stunning bar of silver from the boat on a Tungsten Pot Bellied Pig.

Greig with his fish and ghillie Mike

Fish on for Salmo Fishings Greig

The morning produced 4salmon in total and lunch was at 1pm. The quite outstanding banquet fixed up by Cohn & Mike and their good lady's was absolutely fantastic! After a hearty meal it was back to the fishing with a quick team photo before hitting the water again.

The afternoon session produced another 3 salmon and a wee finnock, notably a 10.5lb fish landed by John Henderson of Hardy/Greys.

The end of the day...and season.

A huge thank you must go to Greig of Salmo Fishings Scotland for organising the day, Cohn and Mike, their partners and to the mighty river Tay for producing on the final day of the season.

Roll on 2012 for some more Tay salmon action, a quite superb salmon river!

*Photos courtesy of Glyn Satterley @ glynsatterley.com
    Last edited by HebGhillie; 02-11-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Great report HG, and a cracking result in the high water!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Default Thank you!

Great wee report Rory, it was great to have you along! See you soon. Greig

Default Taymount

Quote Originally Posted by HebGhillie View Post
    On Monday I was lucky enough to have been invited to fish Taymount for the closing day of the Tay salmon season. The day had been organised by Greig Thomson of Salmo Fishings Scotland Ltd and I was raring to go as I left my flat in Roslin for the drive North to Stanley.

On arrival at the beat the river was in great order, 6ft and dropping, clear and debris free after rising to 8ft the sunday lunch time. Cohn and Mike the excellent Taymount ghillies were soon organising where to put rods and within half an hour everyone was kitted up and heading down to the waters edge. 2 rods would fish from each boat with the rest on the bank.

I had been fishing for around an hour when the thud on the end of my line came and the line drew through my fingers. I was in to what turned out to be a bonny 9lb cock Tay autumn salmon, hooked on a full float line with super fast sink tip and 1.25" copper Posh Tosh tube tied up the night before. After a good scrap and a wee walk down stream the fish was netted by Mike, quick photo and scale sample taken then returned to carry on its journey to spawn.

Coming to the net

The prize

Shortly before I caught that beauty Greig had landed an 8lb salmon which was agreed between all was actually a Kelt as had just spawned. However Greig was not to be denied hooking and landing this stunning bar of silver from the boat on a Tungsten Pot Bellied Pig.

Greig with his fish and ghillie Mike

Fish on for Salmo Fishings Greig

The morning produced 4salmon in total and lunch was at 1pm. The quite outstanding banquet fixed up by Cohn & Mike and their good lady's was absolutely fantastic! After a hearty meal it was back to the fishing with a quick team photo before hitting the water again.

The afternoon session produced another 3 salmon and a wee finnock, notably a 10.5lb fish landed by John Henderson of Hardy/Greys.

The end of the day...and season.

A huge thank you must go to Greig of Salmo Fishings Scotland for organising the day, Cohn and Mike, their partners and to the mighty river Tay for producing on the final day of the season.

Roll on 2012 for some more Tay salmon action, a quite superb salmon river!

*Photos courtesy of Glyn Satterley @ glynsatterley.com
    Great photos,thanks for sharing,i think your being a little hard on yourselves as that fish doesn't look like a kelt to me,unless its the photo that is misleading-but it looks perfectly fresh to me.Well done!

Hi Alaska,
    this is the fish that was a kelt.

The other 2 were yet to go!

Hebghillie

Wink Taymount

Quote Originally Posted by HebGhillie View Post
    Hi Alaska,
    this is the fish that was a kelt.

The other 2 were yet to go!

Hebghillie
    ok,that was the photo i didn't see-yes no doubt a kelt-thought i was starting to lose my marbles there,many thanks

My fault, forgot to put it in the original report!!

No matter where I roam I will return to my English Rose

Default Tay report

nice report,
    I do not even fish the Tay (must do next year) but I enjoy reading such posts so much,

hope big John H. was not supposed to be out working though!
    perhaps delete that but before his boss sees it!?

LG
    I don't care how long this lasts,
    we have no future, we have no past.............................................. .......!!!

Fruin is offline Moderator

Excellent report HG, thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.
    "... the grand excuse for loitering in peaceful places."