+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Line for a 15ft Hardy Demon

Just got myself a 15ft 10wt hardy demon 3pc was wondering what line's would be a good match,ie spey lines,multi tip and shooting head lines
    thanks in advance
    j.mac

Default Line for 15 ft Hardy Demon

I bought myself a hardy demon last year. I had problems with the guide whippings cracking so returned it and upgraded to swift. I use Rio afs outbound 10/11 works for me i had not tried a shooting head line before took a bit of getting used to it after using full spey line. would like to hear what others think too

Hello J-Mac,

I bought my father a 14' Hardy Demon last season with a matching Hardy Mach 55 '9' Weight spey line.

I'm an novice when it comes to double handed casting but the match felt perfect. I used it for a day on the Erriff casting into an upstream wind and found it much easier and lighter in the hand than my own Loop set up.

You would probably do alright with a Hardy Mach 55 '10' weight for your 15'er.
    Work is the curse of the fishing classes.

my mates use rio AFS #9\10 shooting heads on there 15ft demons. having had plenty of casts myself i would really recommend the #9\10 AFS

DON'T buy a Mach 55 - they're garbage (though cast brilliantly initially) - had TWO last less than 6 months (cracking - and I DID look after them).

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Carne; 01-03-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Thumbs up

Thank's for your replie's guy's, anyone use a multitip speyline on their demon was thinking about getting a 58ft head scott mckenzie multitip but not sure whether to get a 9/10 or 10/11
    Last edited by j.mac; 01-03-2011 at 10:01 PM.

J Mac,

I tried a 9/10 Airflo Delta Multi Tip on the Demon 14'.

I was tempted by a cheap deal on Tackle Bargains - http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acat...40---4771.html

It wasn't so cheap when I paid a £12 delivery charge though.

It was alright, probably slightly heavy on the rod and some of the tips didn't have loops.

What I learned is: if you buy a good rod it's a false economy skimping on the line.

My father used the Mach 55 on his Demon for about 4 days last season so I can't comment on it's longevity.

Dave Carne - I'll look out for cracking problems this season. If it started cracking for you after 6 months I would take it straight back to Hardy. That is completely unacceptable for a premium line.

Regards,

Leannan
    Work is the curse of the fishing classes.

I have a Mach 55 floater on my 13' rod, i will keeping an eye on it too, trouble is that it doesn't get a lot of outings in a season and it is already past a twelve month warranty period.

Quote Originally Posted by j.mac View Post
    Thank's for your replie's guy's, anyone use a multitip speyline on their demon was thinking about getting a 58ft head scott mckenzie multitip but not sure whether to get a 9/10 or 10/11
    my brother was using a multi tip on his 15ft demon last year. but i cant remember if it was a #9\10 or a #10/11. i will find out later when he returns from work.
    i know davie bell from the GAC recommended he used #9\10 AFS shooting heads on the 15 ft demon

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    I have a Mach 55 floater on my 13' rod, i will keeping an eye on it too, trouble is that it doesn't get a lot of outings in a season and it is already past a twelve month warranty period.

I wouldn't worry. I've beaten a few to death for a couple of seasons and they're still in fine nick..