Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    Well I've a couple but nowt worth talking about eh' Nic
    Obviously not my friend
    Where There's Big Un's There's Little Un's!!Hidden Content

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Lovely dogs!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but have any of you guys in the know any knowledge of UK breeders of the Drentse Patrijshond?
    It's a dog that I've been keen on for a few years. My wife used to have a cracking Springer and, in this game, I have a few friends with Springers, but I just thing they should be worked and I don't shoot. Therefore, the Drentse seems like a better option.
    The kids are a bit older now (past the toddler stage) and I am approaching a time when i have more time available to concentrate on a new companion for the family.
    "... the grand excuse for loitering in peaceful places."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Fruin View Post
    Lovely dogs!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but have any of you guys in the know any knowledge of UK breeders of the Drentse Patrijshond?
    It's a dog that I've been keen on for a few years. My wife used to have a cracking Springer and, in this game, I have a few friends with Springers, but I just thing they should be worked and I don't shoot. Therefore, the Drentse seems like a better option.
    The kids are a bit older now (past the toddler stage) and I am approaching a time when i have more time available to concentrate on a new companion for the family.
    What do you want one of those big usless lumps for Gary.Originally from Holland where theres no hills.They're knackered after a 50 yard lollop..
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I just thought they might be a bit calmer than a Springer. I have to admit that I have a real soft spot for Springers but would worry that one wouldn't get enough excercise in our house, and i fear that my wife, having already experienced the full springer experience is reluctant to go through it again .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Are they that bad?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Fruin View Post
    I just thought they might be a bit calmer than a Springer. I have to admit that I have a real soft spot for Springers but would worry that one wouldn't get enough excercise in our house, and i fear that my wife, having already experienced the full springer experience is reluctant to go through it again .
    Its a fallacy that Springers are tear **** dogs that need hours of exercise daily.They don't need any more exercise than any other dog.
    All my dogs are quiet,calm and easy to handle because thats the way they've been bred.They can turn it on when required but theres a time and a place..In the field they're on the ball,keen and up for the job.At home in the kennel they're quiet,dosile,soft and no trouble at all.
    You can't beat a well bred English Springer Spaniel for that all round dog.I wouldn't have any other breed and I've had most of the gundog breeds over the years..
    edmaudling likes this.
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I prefer labradors myself, but rather than getting into an argument perhaps the ultimate dog is one of these?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/l/labradinger.htm
    Last edited by Cascade; 06-10-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Is there a difference between a labradinger and a springador? I saw a sign on the door of a pet shop the other day for Sprollie pups! For sale too.

The reason springers get a bad name as a pet is they need loads of exercise and a walk on the lead just doesn't give them what they need. Anyone buying a springer or a cocker should train it as a gundog even if they have no intention of working it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Jockiescott,

It is my intention, as you suggest, that if we get a dog I will train it as a gundog even although I do not shoot. That way it would give me and the dog clear targets (excuse the pun) to aim for and would keep us both disciplined.

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast