+ Reply to Thread

Default Best time of day ?

Hi, a basic question, is there a best time of day for salmon to take ?If I was trout or grayling fishing I would know for each month of the season but the whole salmon game is still all new and fresh to me, cheers Paul

For me hard one to answer, for a basic answer first thing in the morning or last thing at night. But normally if you get to fish an undisturbed pool hilding salmon thats always been the best bet.

Fruin is offline Moderator

I would concur with that. The best time of the day is when there are 'active' salmon in the pool in front of you. On hard fished, the fish will be less disturbed first thing in the morning and there may be a few fresh ones that have slipped in at last light. However, if there are fish running off the tides and the tide is later in the day then either side of the tide may be the best time for that particular day.
    If I am covering resident fish from summer onwards, just as the light starts to fade into night time is often the most productive. For some reason, even in low water, the fish seem to stir and come out of their stubbornly held lies for short periods. This activity and jostling around the pool can often bring them on the take after they have been sulking all day.
    "... the grand excuse for loitering in peaceful places."

When they are in a taking mood!

Not being flippant but as has been said above, this can be any time of day (or night) dependent on season, water height, stocks, etc.

If you had to choose a single time, either last light or midday would be my choice. Last light for the reasons given above and midday because it's the warmest and animals are often most active at this time. (granted in mid summer this may not apply!)

Whatever you take to the bank with you, one thing you can be sure of is the fish will not agree and the take will come as a surprise!

Oscar

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Its a good drive from home to where I fish so I try and cram in a bit of mountain bike riding and plenty of fishing, I can track the rivers levels with ease from my keyboard so my question was about trying to establish the least productive 3 or 4 hour period in any 24 hours period, that will become bike riding time and rest is given up to fishing and a bit of sleeping.

12-4 for me.

Oscar

If I had to choose a time to fish, it would be AM, dawn until lunchtime, but other factors need to be taken into account, light levels and air pressure , water height and colour, temperature. They all play their part, and even when you think you have the ideal combination, then there,s the small matter of lure size & type, colour etc.
    Just fish the hell out of it until you,ve had enough, have a rest, then do it again, but vary your rest times to cover all the possibilities.
    peter

Sorry if i am being 'niave' here.....but for me, from first light.....new dawn, new day, an unspoilt day awaits......usually more wildlife and less people around....this always seem to boost my 'expectancy' of a fish.

And if no fish, no matter....i have had a couple of hours to enjoy 'nature' before the world 'wakes up'

Brian

Default No real answer and thats good

I suspected there would not be a definative answer and in many ways thats fine by me, its the mystery of fishing that has kept me hooked for over 40 years

I love the mornings and evenings most but there is no such thing as bad time on the river, there is always an ever moving set of challenges to unlock and lady luck to woo.

I'm going to keep mixing it up and I'm sure I will find something that works for me, thanks for all the replies.

No doubt at all in my mind. With everything else being equal dawn and the first 90 minutes of light is the best time. It's also the quietest time normally which can't do any harm.