Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Skagit -Putting it all together

Can't comment anymore on what everybody else has had to say, really neat and informative, and a fantastic thread. Just a big thanks for the info on a really streamlined set-up that makes me re-think my own set-up and leader attachment, and a big credit for taking the time to share. Very useful!!

I bought my shrink tube on ebay, "quality fishing tackle" Dave Skirrow . got 2mm and 3mm which seem fine. Quick delivery. Trying it out last weekend you need to move things fast so they don't over heat and roll when molten to get a smooth finish. Not as easy as it looks on the pictures but the results at the end are good.

Johnny

I still think hair straighteners are the easiest head source to use - 4.99 from Argos.
    KVC and Piker20 like this.

SP8

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I still think hair straighteners are the easiest head source to use - 4.99 from Argos.
    Was that a Freudian spelling mistake?

SP8
    kingfishben likes this.

This should be moved to great threads, this is priceless

a bit of detail

SP8

OK guys, got my 30ft of Rio t14, got my suitable floating line but pretty much failed at the first hurdle.
    My problem is getting a needle an inch up the floating line. Even with a pin vice as shown in the sbs I struggle to get half inch up and then I cant get the stripped t14 to go all the way through. I have always had this problem in the past when trying to needle knot a leader to a fly line through the core.
    Any tips (no pun!) or should I just go with braided loops?

SP8

It's hard to get the needle in hold it and force it in with a pair of pliers little bit at a time very fine needle to start then go bigger then pull 3lb line through the hole use that to pull 12lb line

SP8

Quote Originally Posted by worktofish View Post
    It's hard to get the needle in hold it and force it in with a pair of pliers little bit at a time very fine needle to start then go bigger then pull 3lb line through the hole use that to pull 12lb line
    I'll try that although I have been using a fine needle in a pin vice. I should have thought of putting finer nylon through first.

SP8

There are some bits of useful info on video on the Gwent Angling website including joining leaders to fly line.

Gwent Angling Society
    How to set up your reel etc.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast