Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Skagit -Putting it all together

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Neil,

I will go to maplins tonight or if not tomorrow and see for myself and hope to find one.

Regards
    Gerry

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

great post thank you
    william

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default can you use..

let me add my thanks on such a great post.
    can I ask all you Skagit experts a question.
    I was thinking of using a skagit on my older 14' redington red fly rated #9 for those early spring and late autumn days.
    I assume the through action of this rod would be suitable for skagit casts? and as I do not know the gramm rating for my rod would I use the 550gm Skagit 9 or the lighter 450gm Skagit 8 from Rio.
    Lastly, could I use the 15' tips that came with my #9 loop quattro (the old white one)
    Many thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi Newly From The Sea,

Sorry I missed this post earlier. I am no expert in these things but would go along with what Springer says in your other post (Click here to view)

I think what most folk do (myself include) is to carry a Skagit Head along with their other Shooting Heads, changing over where the situation dictates.

What I have noticed however that a Skagit Line for your average 14 or 15 footer is akin to a washing line which gets the job done but lacks finesse.

My feeling is that to get the best from this style of fishing you need to scale everything down. What I plan on doing this season is to carry a much lighter 2nd rod set up for Skagit. I am going to use a 126 #7/8 with a Skagit around or over the 500 grain mark. Hopefully this will give me the benefits of the Skagit but hopefully be a bit nicer to fish with. Still not delicate presentation but hopefully heading in the right direction.

Taking it a step further, if all goes well then I will permanently weld the head to the running line or even use a fully integrated line to make it easier to bring the join inside the tip ring when fishing close in.

Cheers
    Neil

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

hi saw this thread earlier in the week. used the shrink tube method once at the end of last season. now inspired to try further; have got the soldering iron, the correct attachments, have ordered more shrink tube can't wait to get on...very inspiring thanks! Johnny

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Almost there

Quick question for the more experienced Skagit users - I have an Airflo compact Skagit line rated at 500 grains, what weight or length of T14 could I attach and reasonably expect to turnover when casting bearing in mind I have never tried to the slow and steady sustained anchor style of casting yet
    happy days likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I don't pretend to be an "expert" but was advised in Alaska and have used, a 500 grain skagit on my #7/8-weight rod successfully. For a #9/10-weight rod, a 650 grain Rio or 660 grain Airflo Compact skagit works nicely. I use a 720 Airflo Compact skagit on my 15 ft #10/11 rod.

Now, as to T-14, this stuff sinks at 9"/sec. I've used custom-cut lengths of 5 ft to 15 ft on the big rod, but fear that T-14 in any longer than say 7-9 ft may overload a #7/8. It may be safer and equally effective to use an Airflo salmon extra-strong 10 ft tip of an appropriate sink-rate or, if you must use T-14, make sure you do the sustained-anchor casting style, which seems less stressful on the rod.

Hope someone else can chip-in their tuppence worth on this as I would be interested to hear other views.

Best.

K

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by yespsb View Post
    Quick question for the more experienced Skagit users - I have an Airflo compact Skagit line rated at 500 grains, what weight or length of T14 could I attach and reasonably expect to turnover when casting bearing in mind I have never tried to the slow and steady sustained anchor style of casting yet
    What rod are you planning to use this on?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Choices, choices

Hi Alan, since we met up I have bought a truck load of gear I was thinking of using the 13' 7" Mieser rod you played around with because I think its best suited to the Skagit style, the stated grain window is large as it seems to be with all Bobs rods (550 to 850) so I have some lee way.

I also have other Skagit lines but I guess what I was driving at was is there a general ratio between the Skagit line and the tips, for example 4 - 1 In this example a 500grain Skagit head would take circa a 125grain tip.

BTW I also have 2 LeCies, 3 Loop Bluelines, 1 Loop Evotec and a baby Beulah switch rod with a dedicated Skagit line. Hence the

Big thanks to Neil, amazing thread and wonderful clarity and also thanks to all the other replies, ATB Paul
    Last edited by yespsb; 21-03-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    mikek1 likes this.

lax
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default a couple of technical questions......!

First of all... Fantastic thread, it goes without saying really, but after reading this and fishing my skagit quite a bit so far this season, I have a couple of tecnical questions...
    First of all the shrink tubing... I'm not sure which gauge stuff to get. im presume around 2.5mm-3.5mm core would be ideal?
    I have a link here and would like to buy some but not sure which...
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...0001%2B1003810

Also the soldering iron and tips... the same place sells Iroda but your advice would be really appreciated on which one would suit best for the splicing purposes..

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...01294%2B500001

your help is much appreciated

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast