Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Skagit -Putting it all together

Neil,

I will go to maplins tonight or if not tomorrow and see for myself and hope to find one.

Regards
    Gerry

great post thank you
    william

Default can you use..

let me add my thanks on such a great post.
    can I ask all you Skagit experts a question.
    I was thinking of using a skagit on my older 14' redington red fly rated #9 for those early spring and late autumn days.
    I assume the through action of this rod would be suitable for skagit casts? and as I do not know the gramm rating for my rod would I use the 550gm Skagit 9 or the lighter 450gm Skagit 8 from Rio.
    Lastly, could I use the 15' tips that came with my #9 loop quattro (the old white one)
    Many thanks

Hi Newly From The Sea,

Sorry I missed this post earlier. I am no expert in these things but would go along with what Springer says in your other post (Click here to view)

I think what most folk do (myself include) is to carry a Skagit Head along with their other Shooting Heads, changing over where the situation dictates.

What I have noticed however that a Skagit Line for your average 14 or 15 footer is akin to a washing line which gets the job done but lacks finesse.

My feeling is that to get the best from this style of fishing you need to scale everything down. What I plan on doing this season is to carry a much lighter 2nd rod set up for Skagit. I am going to use a 126 #7/8 with a Skagit around or over the 500 grain mark. Hopefully this will give me the benefits of the Skagit but hopefully be a bit nicer to fish with. Still not delicate presentation but hopefully heading in the right direction.

Taking it a step further, if all goes well then I will permanently weld the head to the running line or even use a fully integrated line to make it easier to bring the join inside the tip ring when fishing close in.

Cheers
    Neil

hi saw this thread earlier in the week. used the shrink tube method once at the end of last season. now inspired to try further; have got the soldering iron, the correct attachments, have ordered more shrink tube can't wait to get on...very inspiring thanks! Johnny

Default Almost there

Quick question for the more experienced Skagit users - I have an Airflo compact Skagit line rated at 500 grains, what weight or length of T14 could I attach and reasonably expect to turnover when casting bearing in mind I have never tried to the slow and steady sustained anchor style of casting yet
    happy days likes this.

I don't pretend to be an "expert" but was advised in Alaska and have used, a 500 grain skagit on my #7/8-weight rod successfully. For a #9/10-weight rod, a 650 grain Rio or 660 grain Airflo Compact skagit works nicely. I use a 720 Airflo Compact skagit on my 15 ft #10/11 rod.

Now, as to T-14, this stuff sinks at 9"/sec. I've used custom-cut lengths of 5 ft to 15 ft on the big rod, but fear that T-14 in any longer than say 7-9 ft may overload a #7/8. It may be safer and equally effective to use an Airflo salmon extra-strong 10 ft tip of an appropriate sink-rate or, if you must use T-14, make sure you do the sustained-anchor casting style, which seems less stressful on the rod.

Hope someone else can chip-in their tuppence worth on this as I would be interested to hear other views.

Best.

K

Quote Originally Posted by yespsb View Post
    Quick question for the more experienced Skagit users - I have an Airflo compact Skagit line rated at 500 grains, what weight or length of T14 could I attach and reasonably expect to turnover when casting bearing in mind I have never tried to the slow and steady sustained anchor style of casting yet
    What rod are you planning to use this on?

Default Choices, choices

Hi Alan, since we met up I have bought a truck load of gear I was thinking of using the 13' 7" Mieser rod you played around with because I think its best suited to the Skagit style, the stated grain window is large as it seems to be with all Bobs rods (550 to 850) so I have some lee way.

I also have other Skagit lines but I guess what I was driving at was is there a general ratio between the Skagit line and the tips, for example 4 - 1 In this example a 500grain Skagit head would take circa a 125grain tip.

BTW I also have 2 LeCies, 3 Loop Bluelines, 1 Loop Evotec and a baby Beulah switch rod with a dedicated Skagit line. Hence the

Big thanks to Neil, amazing thread and wonderful clarity and also thanks to all the other replies, ATB Paul
    Last edited by yespsb; 21-03-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    mikek1 likes this.

lax

Default a couple of technical questions......!

First of all... Fantastic thread, it goes without saying really, but after reading this and fishing my skagit quite a bit so far this season, I have a couple of tecnical questions...
    First of all the shrink tubing... I'm not sure which gauge stuff to get. im presume around 2.5mm-3.5mm core would be ideal?
    I have a link here and would like to buy some but not sure which...
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...0001%2B1003810

Also the soldering iron and tips... the same place sells Iroda but your advice would be really appreciated on which one would suit best for the splicing purposes..

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...01294%2B500001

your help is much appreciated

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast