Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First fly rod

Default First fly rod

Hi,

I have yet to buy my first rod and have a concern as to the length and type I should buy. I intend to start with an Oracle and to use a Scandi line. Initially my fishing is most likely to be on the Middle Wye or in Yorkshire and I have seen some comments that 14ft may be overlong. What length would you recommend to cover these two locations please? Should the rod be the Spey or Scandi version? I would appreciate some advice please.
    Thanks

Martin

Before you invest I would really look at using one of your mates rods if that's an option.
    Buying without trying can get deadly expensive

If that's not an option then perhaps ask the lads on the beats...without knowing the rivers, heights, runs and of course your casting ability it's a tough one to answer

Before buying anything perhaps go and have a casting lesson. Any half decent instructor will have a range of rods that you can try. He or she should also be able to offer you professional advice about the beats you intend to fish and the most appropriate equipment for them. Lessons run at approximately 35.00 per hour and in would recommend 2 hours for your first one. 70.00 may sound a little unpalatable but it is worth every penny in the long run . It will save you wasted time, money and effort.
    Last edited by Perrypokemon; 20-07-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    I love my brick

The Oracle is a very good choice be it the spey or scandi model,match it with a line 2.5/ 3 the rod length and get yourself fishing!!small to medium width river are easily covered with a rod 12/13ft and large flies and medium weight tubes can be cast easily with line weights 8/9 or 9/10,if smaller flies and small tubes are all your going to use 7/8 is the way to go,good luck buddy and dont hesitate to ask anymore questions
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by dave_n View Post
    Before you invest I would really look at using one of your mates rods if that's an option.
    Buying without trying can get deadly expensive

If that's not an option then perhaps ask the lads on the beats...without knowing the rivers, heights, runs and of course your casting ability it's a tough one to answer
    I'd echo this, I'm relatively new to salmon fishing but have fished for trout since I was the weight of a spring Toby.

I was lucky enough to have a few days on the tweed last year and my friend let me try both spey and shooting head setups. I enjoyed the spey setup on a 15 foot rod but ended up buying a Scandi shooting head setup when I was ready to take the plunge.

Have a mess about if you can. More importantly, enjoy every minute of it.

Edit- Don't worry about snobs looking down their nose at a Shakespeare, whether spey or Scandi, half the ghillies on the Tay rate them.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Prefab Trout; 16-07-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks for your input. Am currently looking for a casting instructor. I will take some tuition and use the opportunity to try one or two outfits before buying

Thanks again

Martin

Smile switch

Quote Originally Posted by mwj1045 View Post
    Thanks for your input. Am currently looking for a casting instructor. I will take some tuition and use the opportunity to try one or two outfits before buying

Thanks again

Martin
    Hello, Shakespeare set ups are some of the best you will ever get, easy forgiving rods and hold heavy lines and big fleas when the water goes up, Im not sure how big those rivers are you mentioned but I cast the Dee the Don and the Ythan with 10'6" to 12' 6" switch rods, 13" strictly speaking is a full blown salmon rod but anything less is salmon switch then down to trout switch, Im presently loving a 10"6 snowbee diamond 8 weight, anyway I waffle, switch rods will help you under stand loading of a rod easier than big rods, keep an eye on here buddy you will pick up some bargains...
    Ideally 12' 8 weight to get started, if you get good which you will I guarantee you that won't be the only rod you buy...lol

tight lines
    Hidden Content
    Load, Launch, Catch, release.

Quote Originally Posted by mwj1045 View Post
    Hi,

I have yet to buy my first rod and have a concern as to the length and type I should buy. I intend to start with an Oracle and to use a Scandi line. Initially my fishing is most likely to be on the Middle Wye or in Yorkshire and I have seen some comments that 14ft may be overlong. What length would you recommend to cover these two locations please? Should the rod be the Spey or Scandi version? I would appreciate some advice please.
    Thanks

Martin
    I started salmon fishing last year with a 13'9" #8/9 Oracle Scandi. While this is a good rod, especially for a beginner like me (paired with a Rio Scandi line), I find the 12'9" Oracle SKAGIT #9 a far superior casting tool. It works well with Scandi or Skagit lines and is very forgiving - my loops can be pretty horrendous and it normally copes! Try it with a 540gr Rage Compact head and it's a dream to cast. The Oracle switch 7/8 is also great for a lighter set-up. Good luck on your journey.

Dont listen to the William Shakespeare brigade on here pal . Cheap and cheerful isnt always the best .
    There is a lovely 13ft Ian Gordon Partridge rod on the classifieds . Far superior to any Shakespeare piece of junk that you will only end up getting sick of down the line and changing anyway . Ian Gordon designed thos Partridge rods and that wee 13ft one is a steal in its brand new condition at 150 .

Dont take any notice of minty fisher he talks a load of ****,when he eventually learns how to use a rod properly he will no doubt sell all his Miesers(you know the ones with the handle that looks like a dog sh*t thats on a bad diet) and buy the full range of shakys
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast