Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First fly rod

Dont poke fun at the William Shakespeare brigade on here . They dont like it cos their cheap and cheerful rods are just as good if not better than the very best of fly rods out there . They are a bit like communists and dont like to see anybody with better gear than them . Dont buy anything Simms either cos they dont like that gear as well .

Back to original point . I see the lovely wee 13ft Ian Gordon Partridge is sold now ........

Some of the best anglers i know are using oracle switch and scandis and leaving their marksmans etc in the car. Considering flogging my guideline and getting an oracle switch and scandi.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Some of the best anglers i know are using oracle switch and scandis and leaving their marksmans etc in the car. Considering flogging my guideline and getting an oracle switch and scandi.

Maybe we should all get rid of our good rods and get these Shakespeare things then ?
    Seems like all the other rod manufacturers have got it seriously wrong ??

Quote Originally Posted by Minty Fisher View Post
    Maybe we should all get rid of our good rods and get these Shakespeare things then ?
    Seems like all the other rod manufacturers have got it seriously wrong ??
    Not at all. If you like nice shiney things then thats your right to buy and use them. If im recomending a rod though i would recomend it on value and performance rather than all the bells and whistles you may get on high end stuff that if you are a half decent caster may get you an extra yard or 2. The extra cost in most cases dosent transfer into performance benefits and at the end of the day its a tool to get a fly infront of a fish and not for show and tell in the fishing hut to impress people. We all like fishing for difrent reasons and if rods with funny handles make you enjoy your fishing more then thats fine with me.

Last edited by Rrrr; 20-07-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Not at all. If you like nice shiney things then thats your right to buy and use them. If im recomending a rod though i would recomend it on value and performance rather than all the bells and whistles you may get on high end stuff that if you are a half decent caster may get you an extra yard or 2. The extra cost in most cases dosent transfer into performance benefits and at the end of the day its a tool to get a fly infront of a fish and not for show and tell in the fishing hut to impress people. We all like fishing for difrent reasons and if rods with funny handles make you enjoy your fishing more then thats fine with me.

I suppose yer right in a way - some folk like driving a Ford Focus to get them from A-B and others prefer driving a Rangey or M5 Beemer etc ? Some folk like drinkin Grouse and some folk like Blue Label . All just amatter of personal taste . Some folk dont mind cuddling into less than average lookin burds at night while others prefer stunners ? Each to their own I suppose .

I suppose yer right in a way - some folk like driving a Ford Focus to get them from A-B and others prefer driving a Rangey or M5 Beemer etc ? Some folk like drinkin Grouse and some folk like Blue Label . All just amatter of personal taste . Some folk dont mind cuddling into less than average lookin burds at night while others prefer stunners ? Each to their own I suppose .
    If it makes people happy doing things their way then who am i to question it especialy with fishing. Whichever way you find joy in this sport is fine by me.

As we are Talking rods !!!
    I have asked this question before ?[with no replies]
    Does anyone use the greys gr70 15ft it looks a nice bit of kit any feedback would be much appreciated,

thanks jim
    ANY MINUTE NOW!!!!!:Hidden Content

Not used any of the gr range. Was speaking to a guy this season that had one of the gr switch rods and rekoned it felt like an oracle with a better handle and reel seat. He throws some nice loops with it but hes one of the better casters ive seen on the river.

Many thanks to all of you for your replies. It is going to be fun deciding what to do

Martin

Totally off topic.....but that was the post that made me twig who you are!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12