Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Trouble speycasting

I have been speycasting with a shakespeare 11ft 8/9 switch rod with the shakespeare recommended line to suit 8/9 now it could be by bad casting technique because everytime i have formed the d loop the rod dosent seem to bend and compress the rod enough for the forward cast the line feels to light as i say it could be me.

Is there any other set up you can try,maybe a friends or another fishers or get somebody else to try your set up wouldnt like to diss your casting as iv never seen it,not tried the matching line myself but it is entirely possible its a single hand line #8/9 for overhead casting,single hand use etc ,have you tried single hand speycasting with it if so was it any better,can you weight the line and measure its length
    I have its wee brother the 7/8 and its a great wee rod i use a 18g head for single hand speycasts but a 23g head for 2 hands
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

The line is designed for the switch rod they say you can use it for spey casting and overhead casting but i would have thought you cant have the best of both worlds.I am thinking of trying the Barrio switch fly line i think there 8/9 is a heavier grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkie View Post
    The line is designed for the switch rod they say you can use it for spey casting and overhead casting but i would have thought you cant have the best of both worlds.I am thinking of trying the Barrio switch fly line i think there 8/9 is a heavier grain.
    Yes it sounds like the line is for single hand use if you want a recommendation for a 2 handed line the airflo rage is a good option in 420gr(27g)
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!