Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Pre Looped Running lines

Currently looking at Pre- Looped mono running lines and wondering if any ones using them.Particularly concerned about the loop arrangement, how its formed, how secure it is.Looking at the Scierra stuff on offer from Angling Active,it looks like a braided loop just stuck on, is this the case?,how secure do you feel it is and hows its passage through the rod rings.
    Thanks for any input,Pedro.

Buy a mono line without a loop or just cut the loop off.

Then, just tie the mono to the rear of the head.

14977827546441789751988-jpg

1497782808594733347007-jpg

Leave the tag about an inch and a half and the whole thing glides in and out the rings without any hangups.

When you want to change heads, just cut it off at the knot, tie on new head and coil the old head. No need to feed all of the head through the running line loop to attach or detach it, which I always hated doing.

The knot used is a non slip loop knot.

Hope this makes sense

Paddymc,makes absolute perfect sense!,thats what I'm currently doing.Merely considering a better way thats all and I do find the knots are a tadge clattery and do sometimes stick in the rod guides.
    Pedro.
    Last edited by Rennie; 18-06-2017 at 12:14 PM.

I like the convenience of large loops which you can pass through either a reel or spool of line.I have only used Airflo and Loop and have replaced the worn the last few feet of both and made my own welded loops, following the advice on this link.
    Welding Fly Lines - Hooked4life
    I do cover the joint with black thin wall shrink tube, not sure if its necessary for strength but it makes a good indicator. Never had a loop break,but did break the Loop running line last week. Lost a head and T18 tip. Took a a heavy straight line pull to break a Loop 25Lb core running line, had 15lb Maxima leader.

I have used the sceirra tactical running line and never had a problem with the pre made loop and i've played fish up to 24lb with it,I have tried most on the nylon running lines (scierra,varivas,amnessia,greased weasel,rio,guideline,opst) and to be honest they all still tangle and knot some are easier to stretch out the kinks than others,it's fine when your only pulling back 5 or 6 loops but when your pulling back 20 or so loops good line management is essential.when the running line has too many kinks in it i just take it off and turn it around the heavier nylon is alot easier handled than the lighter but the lighter nylon does go out further,I have been using the OPST lasar running line which i'm liking at the moment

I use the scierra ones and like them. Used the 50lb one on the Fraser river in BC and caught chum up to 30lb no worries. The braided loop is whipped on and is solid.

I settled on Guideline Compline, 50lbs, having tried coated running lines. I find it tangles much less & is less subject to abrasion. Been using it for years and no problem - even in Russia where lines get hammered on the rough banks. I tie my own loops - a (big) perfection loop for the SH connection. Smoother than a braid connection for going thru the rings, especially if you cover the knot with a aquasure or Loon knot sense.
    To attach to gelspun type backing I use this

but with more turns on the reverse - then I coat with aquasure. Now my standard SH setup and havent had a failure with it.
    Only thing is Compline is ridiculously expensive for what it is but I havent found better - perhaps other forum members have?

I should have added, as others have commented, that loop management is crucial, especially when you have a lot of running line out. Gathering loops instead of coils, as this video demos, cuts down on tangles: