Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  45
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Waders

Freestone for me. Always hang them up after fishing, never tightly fold them during transport and been fine. A pal has some Bison and they've been spot on too

Quote Originally Posted by Alexr View Post
    Diver Dave,Would not go anywhere else for buying or repairing waders,great service.
    Not so sure. I had a pair of Orvis Silver Label bootfoots that sprung a leak where the boot top joins the wader. Orvis didn't do them anymore so sent them to DD. They came back with glue over a dozen places where they never leaked, nearly every seam that was previously OK and glue where they originally leaked. And they still leaked at the original leak spot! I took them back and Orvis exchanged them for a lower range (Endevour I think) which have been fine. thank you Orvis.

apart from that I must be very lucky as my lowest of the range Vision, Daiwa neo's and Snowbee (I buy them in the sales and take 3 pairs fishing just in case) have all been OK, except where I've hooked myself. Probably just put the hex on them and they'll all leak now LoL.

Welded seams are better than stitched seams, the rest is down to the quality and robustness of the material used and a sensible fit that allows movement without stressing seams and of course hanging to dry properly. one thing to remember is the area where dd applies the sealant solution makes that area no longer breathable, as I have said myself and friends have had mixed results with repairs.

I know I'm like a cracked record on the subject of waders, but here goes. Indeed, I may be unique amongst SFF members in my satisfaction with my waders.

For many decades I used big heavy rubber things that were hot, sweaty and a real physical burden. For trout fishing I only ever used thigh waders, because full chest rubber waders on a summer evening would have been a most unpleasant recipe for heat exhaustion.

Then came Goretex, so 11 seasons ago a acquired my first pair of Vision Ikon Zip waders. The zip is dead handy for men of my age. This pair of waders is still in service and they don't leak, despite all the stuff that lurks in ambush along the banks of the river I fish for trout and the amount of time I spend on hands and knees. Over the years they have been off to DD for servicing at regular intervals. Inevitably where impermeable sealant is applied they cease to be breathable in that area. Owing to the wear and tear around the crutch seams I now sport somewhat embarrassing condensation dampness at the end of a summer day's trout fishing. There are some areas where the area of Aquasure exceeds that of Goretex, but if if a little embarrassment is the price of longevity, so be it. After 11 seasons they don't owe me anything: when I bought them my mental budget was for 5-6 years.

A couple of years ago I bought a new pair against the probability of the old ones expiring. I now use the new model Ikon Zip for salmon fishing, and they appear substantially improved in many areas, with more reinforcement at key points. Only the waist belt is less good than its predecessor. The new lining in the feet with a re-shaped ankle is a revelation and make it so much easier to take them off at the end of the day.

Yes, as a result of ingrained professional habit I look after my kit carefully, and avoid obvious hazards. No doubt I've been very lucky, purchasing two consecutive pairs of fault-free waders. But on this evidence I wouldn't be thinking of any other brand but Vision.
    Michael
    Hidden Content

Please support the Ure Salmon Run Bike Challenge - donate via Hidden Content

I was severely tempted to buy a pair of Snowbee wader master (500D Nylon) but as they're only available in boot foot I bought a pair of refurbished waders from DD for 100, I will not pay any more than this for a pair of waders ever!
    Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints.

Default It must be the handling or storage

I have only had two pairs of breathables, my then top of the range Cabela's Guide Goretex waders are so bloody old I could not tell you wether they are 15, 20 or even more years old !
    I have abused them on working parties, climbed trees in them and generally not given their well being a thought when in use and apart from having to replace the neoprene boots due to wear (90) they have not had one single leak. They are brilliant

My other pair are made by Vision, no idea which model but no zip.I got them for 160 as they were a shop demo pair (full price was then circa 280) and I think these are now circa 6 or 7 years old and not a single leak and thats after tumbling down a bank or two, walking through dense undergrowth etc.

I never ever fold them up, they are always hung and allowed to dry slowly and thats it. I read all these tales of woe and think either you lot are doing something wrong or I have been very very lucky

ps maybe the fault actually starts with the makers folding them up for storage and delivery. Can you imagine how being folded up in to a tight cardboard box for 3 to 6 months weakens the seams ????
    Last edited by yespsb; 21-06-2017 at 12:31 PM.

got a pair of Snowbee Wadermasters in ohhh about 1996. I've travelled everywhere with them and they refuse to leak. Incredible things .....

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

what about a pair of waders made of aquasure they should be bomb proof

Quote Originally Posted by auldsalmon View Post
    what about a pair of waders made of aquasure they should be bomb proof
    Along the same lines as black boxes and aircraft eh ?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast