Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks DCH,

That s quite a tip to know... I only have a powerful 9' #7 (Redington NTi) with me at the moment, is it worth bringing? I can easily cast 25m all day long with that rod. Aren't the Dee salmon too much of brutes for a 7wt?

Kind regards,

Pat

Pati,

whereabouts are you located?

Most of the advice you've been given here is sound, in particular the value of getting the basics of 2 handed casting via some lessons, which will be the best money you spend. It's a totally different technique to single handed - even if many of the principles are common - and it really helps to establish a good foundation from which to develop, which will also increase your enjoyment and rate of progress. I came into salmon fly fishing as a very experienced trout angler and was brought up short by the challenges of the differences, and wished I'd taken a couple of lessons at the outset.

For the rod you will be hard pressed to better a Shakespeare within your budget. I would suggest the 14 foot Oracle Spey, which you can get for £103 from John Norris. The reasons for this recommendation are first, it has a nice easy through action that helps the learning process and forgives errors; second, the action absorbs the effects of a trout fisher's dominant right hand; and third, it casts all types of lines very nicely. Conversely, you should avoid anything described as 'fast' or 'optimised for shooting heads', because these actions tend to be unforgiving for novices.

Don't skimp on the line. However, I'm not a fan of multi-tip lines, which tend to be very expensive. They can also turn out to be a poor long term investment when you find you can't get a replacement tip to match the line. Accordingly, a solution of a floating line combined with a selection of 3 different sink rate polyleaders will be substantially cheaper and achieve the required effects. In terms of the line type I recommend starting with a shooting head type, with a head length around 35-40 feet. if you can find an offer on an Airflo that will be fine. However, John Norris are currently offering their own brand shooting heads for £5 and running line at the same price, so you won't go far wrong at that price. Note that Norris' branded lines are made by one of the major manufacturers under contract.

The main requirement for the reel is capacity, because you need 150 yards of backing, 30-50 of running line and room for the head. Many reels advertised as #9 fall well short of their stated capacity. Brands like SKB, Vision (Deep), Shakespeare etc are all good enough and you can find good used reels very cheaply, but do stick to established brands and buy the next size up.

So with a rod at £103; lines and backing for £15; £15 for polyleaders; and £60 for a reel, you're in a good position to negotiate a deal with John Norris, and then have the money left over for 2 hours' coaching.

When in due course you feel like upgrading, don't rush, and always try before you buy, because the best rod in the world is the one that suits you best.

Tight lines and enjoy the Dee: with any luck you might get some rain and water in time for your trip. If you're anywhere near North Yorkshire, drop me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pati View Post
    Thanks DCH,

That s quite a tip to know... I only have a powerful 9' #7 (Redington NTi) with me at the moment, is it worth bringing? I can easily cast 25m all day long with that rod. Aren't the Dee salmon too much of brutes for a 7wt?

Kind regards,

Pat
    Pat,

it's the size and mass of the fly and possibly the additional weight of a sinking tip that defeats the single hander.

M

Default Fine

Pat,

From what you have said, you seem pretty co-ordinated. Go and throw the big stick you'll be fine. I'm sure Martin will keep you right...

If you're on the Dee you and you buy a DH rod you might as well use it.

I went up on one of Springers (the previous forum owner) weekends and had a 12lb fish the first time. The 2nd time Alan, Fly-Tom and I just tried loads of lines on different rods which was really enjoyable too (even in a down pour!)

Get the Loop as it will still deliver a good line even if your timing is out.
    Itís funny whats happening to us.
    Our lives have become digital -
    our friends, now virtual
    and everything you could ever want to know
    is just a click away.
    Experiencing the world through this endless second hand information isnít enough -
    if we want authenticity Ė WE have to initiate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pati View Post
    Thanks DCH,

Kind regards,

Pat

It is absolutely worth bringing.........dont listen to all the other mumbo jumbo from others.......if the water dont lift, wee braided trout leaders or tips, long leaders and stoats tails / wee sunrays & hitch flies........you`ll be catching where others wont......waters warming up, sea trout about, may even be the odd browns (not noted on the Dee) to go at in the doldrums

Listen to me, take it

ps...you`ll land fish on the 7 weight....

DCH
    Last edited by Don CurlyHorny; 21-04-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Pat,

it's the size and mass of the fly and possibly the additional weight of a sinking tip that defeats the single hander.

M
    Have you seen how low the water is up here?.....sorry, dont agree with that, comfortably fish the dee with a single hander just now....may even be best tactic.....he states hes casting plenty distance, let him shine then

Tips can be sourced trout rated.

Flies on the Dee, id be firing in with as low as size 12s........

DCH

Quote Originally Posted by Don CurlyHorny View Post
    Have you seen how low the water is up here?.....sorry, dont agree with that, comfortably fish the dee with a single hander just now....may even be best tactic.....he states hes casting plenty distance, let him shine then

Tips can be sourced trout rated.

Flies on the Dee, id be firing in with as low as size 12s........

DCH

You're certainly right in the current conditions: I was just making a general point.

I usually take a 10' #7 with me on every trip, which as you point out is quite capable of subduing salmon.

Hi Pat,

The Dee is a lovely river and a fine place to have your first outing after salmon. I hope there are plenty of fish about.

If I'm correct then Little Blackhall fishes from the south bank of the Dee. This means that, unless you are a left-hander, or sufficiently ambidextrous, you will be casting either a double spey or a somewhat weakened left-handed single spey.

The double spey isn't too difficult to get the hang of but it's not easy either. It will help to have a rod with good feel. Getting the right line to weight the rod correctly and give you the 'feel' will help. Without it you may well have a tough week.

Lessons will help but if you don't have time before you go then ask the ghillie to spend a bit of time helping you to get the timing right. Don't beat yourself up if you can't cast a great distance at first. I caught my first Dee salmon about 20 feet from the rod tip. Focus on getting the timing. If your shoulder hurts at the end of the first day you're giving it too much.

Good luck finding the tackle and tight lines!

Tom

Default its wadable

In the current conditions its and easy wade so the double spey no bother. Just follow the 'yellow brick road' from 'New Fawn' down ... you'll be grand. You'll see the gravel bar from the high bank. So you'll know what I mean.
    Itís funny whats happening to us.
    Our lives have become digital -
    our friends, now virtual
    and everything you could ever want to know
    is just a click away.
    Experiencing the world through this endless second hand information isnít enough -
    if we want authenticity Ė WE have to initiate it.

Hi All,

I just went on and bought the Loop Classic, thanks for all your advice (I will also bring my single hand #7 rod).
    A member of the forum has been incredibly kind to me and offered me one of his reel he no longer uses!!!

My quest now continues as I now need to find a line to pair with the rod, so will be looking for a classic Spey line with a fairly short head (been advised to go with no longer than 3 times the rod's length so that's 42ft for the head)!

I can't wait to put all that to action!!! Any reading or advice you may point me too on fishing the Dee especially the Inchmarlo beat would be welcome too!!!

Pat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast