Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Montana Nymph

Had a similar idea myself but not traditional nymphing as such.

Thought I would tie a Montana Nymph on a double hook but will probably fish it down & across unless anybody can suggest a better approach. Virtually every fish with an adipose fin will attack a Montana so I'm hopeful.

Last edited by Bothy Cat; 17-04-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it Hidden Content

I agree with your thinking H.,my very favourite flee for low clear water is a Black Bear Green Butt-essentially a Stoats Tail with a green backside and when tied with low water considerations in mind looks reet dead nymphy.
    P.

Default Here you go

img_0484-jpg
    Itís funny whats happening to us.
    Our lives have become digital -
    our friends, now virtual
    and everything you could ever want to know
    is just a click away.
    Experiencing the world through this endless second hand information isnít enough -
    if we want authenticity Ė WE have to initiate it.

When we fish Woodmill my mate has great success at times with a long shank single with maybe a 3mm tungsten bead behind the eye.
    The pattern can be a nymph or Amrican Express,Alexandra type fly.
    This is fished on quite a short dropper maybe 2ft from the point which is usually a small plastic tube or ally.

The heavy nymph gets down first working amongst the weed or gravel,then the small tube is hovering above in the flow.

Sewinfly. ...........

Like the sound of that Sewinfly!.
    Pedro.

Will be at Woodmill in 3 weeks so will be giving it a go.But I usually use a Snake on its own.
    But this season will use the nymph with a snake and see what happens.

Sewinfly ..............

Default Tungsten/ JW nymphs

Are any of you guys able to give a couple of pointers on how to cast these v heavy nymphs. I've got a few in advance of a trip to the Itchen.

I assume you must use a heavy weight forward line, short leader and a roll cast but can they only really be cast short distances?

An overhead cast would be suicide, I imagine!

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PWH2016 View Post
    Are any of you guys able to give a couple of pointers on how to cast these v heavy nymphs. I've got a few in advance of a trip to the Itchen.

I assume you must use a heavy weight forward line, short leader and a roll cast but can they only really be cast short distances?

Many thanks
    I use a 9' 6" 8wt with a DT line, a 9' 17lb platil tapered leader with about a foot or so chopped off. A tippet ring and 2 ' of 15lb fluoro complete the rig. Overhead casting requires great care and an open loop but can be done!

Quote Originally Posted by PWH2016 View Post

Many thanks
    They are usually just dropped into the water close to the bank or roll cast a short distance.
    I managed to raise a salmon yesterday on the Hampshire Avon, but it didn't take......exciting to see them follow the nymph up through the water (and obviously better when they take it)!
    Good luck on the Itchen.

Thanks Loxie and HantsAvon,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast