Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Saltwater Fly Line?

Default Saltwater Fly Line?

Hi All,

I want to get into Saltwater Fly fishing, I know heaps about Beach, Boat, Pier fishing but Nothing about Saltwater Fly Fishing, can anyone advise on what weight Rod to go for, mainly will be Fishing around Cork, West cork etc. Bass, mullet etc. And what line to head for?

Any advise Welcome, Thanks

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post

Hi All,

I want to get into Saltwater Fly fishing, I know heaps about Beach, Boat, Pier fishing but Nothing about Saltwater Fly Fishing, can anyone advise on what weight Rod to go for, mainly will be Fishing around Cork, West cork etc. Bass, mullet etc. And what line to head for?

Clive
    For years I used a 9wt rod for bass with an intermediate airflo 40+ and it served me well but this past couple of years I've been using a 7wt rod with a hoover salmologic shooter line. A 7wt would be a good all rounder for bass, mullet and seatrout.. A floating line is useful for really shallow water.... Fly wise pack a few clousers, decievers and a couple of sand eel patterns and your sorted...
    Clive likes this.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  37.7 KB
    This fly has taken a right few bass for me
    billy fish and Clive like this.

Thanks very much Pete, appreciate your help

I add here to Pete's spot-on advice.

If you are fishing sheltered waters a 6/7 wt will be ideal...it will manage bass as well as mullet ( extreme torpedoes), a 6/7 wt will not feel too dead if you meet mackerel or small seatrout.

If you need to punch a line into the wind then go up to an 8/9wt.

Fishing the sea is much like loch/reservoir fishing...the fish are often at your feet, so casting parallel to the shore is good, the wind often dictates that sort of cast !!

As for rods and reels-----the rod need not be a 'salt' model but the reel should definitely be solid , simple and salt resistant. Wash all in fresh water after a session.

Lines - I use a SA Striper intermediate, an old Cortland sink tip and Worcester floater.....any line you would use on a lake that balances your rod is good...SKB, Airflo, Norris et al all offer plenty. The sink tip is my 1st choice.

Oh and a stripping basket/washbowl will improve you humour on weed,cobbles or sand!!
    Clive likes this.

Thanks Meyre,

Yes i had a thought about the wind, and like you in UK, we get a lot here too, so i was thinking of an #8 for an all up Rod,

I have Loop reels, Evotec and Speedrunner, and a Hatch which I use for my Salmon Fly fishing, and I know the Hatch is for Salt too so no problem there, the line shouldn't be a problem now either as Ive gotten Fantastic info from you both, Thanks.

Q. what kind of basket are we talking, I've never seen 1 up close, just driving past a few anglers the other week down west cork and I didn't get to see the basket much, so any advise on that would be great.
    Last edited by Clive; 20-04-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Default Stripping basket

Clive you can spend much on these from Orvis/Simms but mine came from the ironmongers in Nth Cornwall
    eg B+Q ad is a 15'' washing up bowl with drain holes....you can find details of how to make this on Utube.
    Enjoy
    Clive likes this.

I would concur with previous advice, 7wt rod is a good option. Also, look at the Royal Wulff saltwater lines, they are very good.
    Clive likes this.
    "You wont catch a fish if your fly's not in the water" Herbie Symons Tamar legend

Default Salt water lines

I use 7/8 weights . A floater most of the time but a slow inter to get under any surface chop that will push the line in towards you. Bass can be fussy at times and you might need to go down in sizes and length of fly to get a take. Sometimes cutting a long tail sand eel imitation down to the length of the hook makes a huge difference.
    Colin.
    Clive likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post

Hi All,

Clive
    Hi, I have the John Norris saltwater P3 lines that I use for my fly fishing in the salt,Cheap and cast great. I also use the Volare stripping basket that I purchased in Angling Active again cheap and is better than most as it is quite deep and this is a plus point if and when fishing in windy conditions.
    Clive likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast