Like Tree10Likes
  • 10 Post By minitube

Thread: A busy few days casting

Default A busy few days casting

I had a great time over the last few days. On Saturday, and Sunday I was at the North West Angling Fair in Strabane. It was a really great event, the weather was very kind and the hospitality even kinder from all involved there, including Elizabeth Cunningham and the Winters brothers Brendan and Jarlath.

Its a truly great location for both single and double handed casting. The river there at Strabane is superb, I seen a nice fresh fish taken on the opposite bank also by a local angler. It was good to catch up with a few people, those including my very good friend Andrew Toft, also long time friends Frank Elliott and Victor Wallace.

I watched some demos from Andrew Toft, Gordon Armstrong, Henrick Mortensen and Scott Mackenzie. Had a good single handed casting session too with Michael (I'll have to look up his second name) from Glenties in Donegal, originally from Europe. I didn't get time to see the others single hand casting due to being at the river most of the time. Young Michael O'Kane was there on the Saturday and we had a few casts together. After the event demos ended on Saturday I was able to watch young Michael practice some of his superb competition casts on the river, single Speys and snake rolls, he'll be off to Spey O Rama very shortly.

It was impressive in the Scott Mackenzie demo to see him control the turnover at distance on the distance casts by feathering the mono running line correctly to achieve that straightening of the front taper and leader.

Afterwards back at Delphi on Monday and Tuesday Pat O'Toole and myself had a major single handed casting session for two days with Gunther Feuerstein of EFFA - European Fly Fishing Association. With a quick bit of Classic Goran Andersson Underhand casting technique thrown in for good measure too. Gunther is a magnificent and extremely experienced caster, we had a great time and I learned a lot. I especially enjoyed learning his back hand power haul technique from Gunther, the originator and true Master of it. Its a truly great and practical cast, and certainly one of the most graceful looking to watch that I've ever seen, it has a special beauty. His presentation casting with the single handed rod can only be described as phenomenal.

Pat, myself and Gunther on the lawn at Delphi.
    Last edited by minitube; 13-04-2017 at 09:26 AM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

My first time at the North West Angling Fair and really enjoyed it . The casting demos were great and I would defy anyone not to learn a lot from these demos. Well worth attending .
    You won`t catch anything if you don`t keep your bugs in the water!

I like the henrick mortesen casting videos on youtube hes got a great way of explaining the things he does and why he does them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Aye Robert i really enjoy using the underhand style and find myself even using it when its not ideal conditions for it (fast rod action,shallow wading,floating head) im using it with all my rods fast through to slow and with sinking tips and shallower sinkers and even deeper wading,after the slow lift i give the rod tip a we knock away from the cast before turning everything round to face the target in regards to the line density and when deep wading just lift the arms up vertically trying to keep a generous space between reel and water and every movement after fallows suit,only been out twice so far this season so a little rusty at the moment myself so need to get back to it,its addictive!!
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

I love the scandi style of casting at the moment as when you get it right the ammount of distance you get for such little effort is great. Still got a lot to learn though as this is my first season using a scandi setup and its a big change from big old spey lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    I love the scandi style of casting at the moment as when you get it right the ammount of distance you get for such little effort is great. Still got a lot to learn though as this is my first season using a scandi setup and its a big change from big old spey lines.

The true underhand and the scandi are very different from one another,the scandi is more of a 50/50 in relation to the hand movement(not talking of dominance here)the underhand has much more movement compaired to top hand,dont get me wrong the scandi has much more power in it and when sinkers are used or distance is the order of the day it comes into its own

All a big learning curve for me to be honest as i was taught with the big top hand push method and a double taper line. Im just happy to be able to cover water on the main tyne that years ago i wouldnt have been able to reach and this is with my 13ft lpxe and i used to use my big 15 foot whisker on the tyne and got less distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    All a big learning curve for me to be honest as i was taught with the big top hand push method and a double taper line. Im just happy to be able to cover water on the main tyne that years ago i wouldnt have been able to reach and this is with my 13ft lpxe and i used to use my big 15 foot whisker on the tyne and got less distance.

Yes the lpxe is a crackin rod iv got the 13 aswell

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    Yes the lpxe is a crackin rod iv got the 13 aswell
    Im using a barrio iss integrated on it at the moment and it flys out. You can see how in the right hands it would chuck the full line if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    The true underhand and the scandi are very different from one another,the scandi is more of a 50/50 in relation to the hand movement(not talking of dominance here)the underhand has much more movement compaired to top hand,dont get me wrong the scandi has much more power in it and when sinkers are used or distance is the order of the day it comes into its own
    Interesting Dexter to see Scandi used as a term for a more open style of shooting head casting rather than an overall umbrella term of various shooting head styles including Underhand. Makes sense and no criticism intended whatsoever, I am genuinely interested in hearing this definition as most people do simply Spey cast with shooing head outfits and use poly leaders on them, as I do myself most of the time. However I can also practice the original all mono leader extremely compact Classic Goran Andersson Underhand style with the right leader set up and rod.

We had lots of discussions over the weekend on what actually constitutes true Underhand casting and also what actually constitutes true Spey casting. Some trains of thought being that modern Spey casting has deviated from the historical and original lifting and replacing line, to shooting line techniques with weight forward line profiles. So then becoming more like Underhand casting e.t.c. Anyway, its probably a minefield for making categories and definitions.

I do remember Doug Locke criticising anything other than traditional DT lines and softer rods, calling modern Spey lines 'splash master' lines, and referring to Snap T's and Snake Rolls as 'circus tricks' e.t.c. Not joking either but getting fairly agitated about it all. There's only two Spey casts (single and double) and little to no shooting of line involved e.t.c. Can only imagine how he would have reacted to a Skagit outfit being used.
    Last edited by minitube; 13-04-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha