Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cutting metal tubes to size

Default Cutting metal tubes to size

Hi All,

I've found a source of 3mm metal tubes which will take the 1.8mm standard inner tubes (Sean Stanton's tubes, future fly etc.). I was using cut to length tubes from McHardy's but don't like the inner tubing. I normally use a razor blade to score the tube and then snap off at the point of weakness and file off the burr. However, there must be a better and cleaner way to cut the tubes. I saw something from B&Q for small tubes (used for home plumbing). Anyone have a good recommendation for a cheap tube cutter - I haven't got much space and don't have a DIY bench. Just looking for a cleaner and easier way to chop a tube to length - still will file the tube afterwards and then line.

Any tips welcome.

Patrick

These will give you a nice finish and straight cut. Also available from b&q etc

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tube-cutter-3-28mm/49428
    wormo and DrPatrickT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noeyedeer View Post
    These will give you a nice finish and straight cut. Also available from b&q etc

Tube Cutter 3-28mm | Copper Pipe Cutters | Screwfix.com
    Not sure this would cut through the tube fully as the minimum diameter is 3mm but the inner diameter of the tube is 1.8mm.

Don't bother with the screwfix own brand they are ****. Go for Rothenberger which I think are about 18 but cut through 3 mm no problem.
    bassfly likes this.

Default A small grinder

I use a yoke like this, you'd cut a lot in 20 minutes

60pc Pro Mini Rotary Drill & Grinder Engraver Tool Set Kit Craft Hobby | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by bassfly View Post
    Not sure this would cut through the tube fully as the minimum diameter is 3mm but the inner diameter of the tube is 1.8mm.
    I've had a similar one (the red one) for years and it cuts down to any size as the blade goes between the rollers

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickT View Post
    Hi All,

I've found a source of 3mm metal tubes which will take the 1.8mm standard inner tubes .

Patrick
    Willing to share your source?

The last lot of copper tube the( same as Veniards slip stream) that I bought came from a company that supplies spares for classic cars, they are called Woolies from Peterborough.

Alex.
    noeyedeer likes this.

I use a Black n Decker Wizzard rotary cutting tool with a wee cutting disc and an old mitre block.Saves me biting my nails!
    Pedro.

Default Cutting Tubing

I have a small tube cutter but found it difficult to make it work with small diameter tubing. It also put a lip on the internal rim of the tube which reduced the diameter and needed to be filed off - perhaps I bought the wrong one. I now settle for a small desk vice and a junior hacksaw which gives a good result. Then neaten up any rough ends with a small file.
    Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast